Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green poo, a bit mucousy

Default Green poo, a bit mucousy

Hi All,

This is a great site for me, a mother who is going through it all for the first time and is probably overly concerned!

My 3.4 month old has been passing green poo occasionally (which i believe is from too much formilk) but its a bit mucousy as well. Did anyone else experience this? It used to be fairly seedy but now its a bit more runny and has a bit of mucous. I am wondering if her stomach is upset? She usually now has 2 large bowel movements.

Thanks
    Nitu

Default Re: Green poo, a bit mucousy

Hi Nitu,
    I was wondering if the baby is taking any medications as those can also cause green stools. Are there any other symptoms that are pointing to too much foremilk? Also is she having the green stools all day every day or just a certain time of the day/week?
    Carmen

She was taking Nystatin (10 days) for Thrush and then Genetian Violet (2 Days)! I am not on anything. Her poops are sometimes yellow, sometimes green/yellow and sometimes just green. I am pretty certain the green is from too much formilk and when i pump i dump about 3oz of formilk out! The mucousy bit worries me and i am not sure if its something i should be concerned about. The pediatrician wasn't too concerned but i did read mucousy could mean virus problem or intolerance to something i've eaten (although my diet hasn't really changed). Other than the poop she is quite happy and isn't too bothered.

Thanks

Nitu,
    It sounds like you have a good handle on things. I just wanted to point out that you don't have to dump out that foremilk. You can combine milk from different pumpings as long as you let them come to the same temp before combining. Both kinds of milk are choc full of good things the foremilk is just lower in fat than the hindmilk. Keep trusting your instincts, you are doing great.
    Carmen