Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice on building up supply

Default Advice on building up supply

I can't seem to get a chance to pump to freeze. It seems like baby girl takes all my milk. Any advice how I can work out a schedule so I can build up my supply?

Default Re: Advice on building up supply

Are you looking to build up a "stash" of milk in the freezer for when you're away? Are you planning to go back to work?

If you're going back to work, you will pump on Monday for Tuesday's daycare feedings. So you don't need a ton of stored milk to go back to work, you really need just enough for the first day (though it's understandable that you'd want more).

How to build up a store of milk depends on what your goals are. A good beginning would be to feed your LO on one side only in the morning (in the 3-6 am realm) and pump the other side for a couple of ounces to freeze. Your milk supply is greatest in the mornings.

If you need to build up more, quickly, you can also pump after every feed and consolidate the output to put into the freezer. That's a lot of effort, though, so it may not be worth it if you're just looking for something for the occasional short outing away from LO.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I'm looking to build up for time away from her when she is with her grandparents. I've been taking Fenugreek but it hasn't seemed to work. I feel like my supply is going down and her demand is going up.

The single best thing you can do is nurse to increase your supply. She's going to be much more efficient at removing milk than a pump would be, so if you're pumping, add (rather than replace) a session. I found it worked well to pump first thing in the morning, either before I nursed or pumping one side while I nursed on the other.

Lots of people use fenugreek, oatmeal, mother's milk tea (and several other things whose names I can't think of ) as well. Lots of people also find that a lot of skin-to-skin contact helps, and that co-sleeping can make a difference as well.

ETA: Also be sure that if she's with her grandparents, pump at the time(s) she would normally nurse in order to keep signaling your body to produce milk for that feeding.