Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping taking too long

Default Pumping taking too long

I just started back to work last week. I am using the same PISA as I used with DD1. It is taking my over 40 min to pump with minimal results unless I crank it up so high as to tear the skin on my nipples which I have done again. Ouch!

With DD1, it took me about 30 minutes to pump--pumping 3x/day I would get about 22-25 oz. Now I'll pump for 40+ minutes and hardly get anything, esp. out of my left breast. Out of my right side, it will still be flowing, but why is it so slow? I am having better results using the manual Medela Harmony. I can get about 4oz in 20 min, but it's one breast at a time and not hands free.

How can I learn to respond better to my PISA this time around? I had the suction checked and it's fine, new tubing, valves, etc. I also have oversupply so it is just the way I am responding to it. I do better with the slow control on the manual. Help!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Default Re: Pumping taking too long

I'm sure others will have a better response, but.... how old is your PISA? Have you tried massaging the breast while pumping?
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

have you tried using a diff size flange? it can change and it can change on just one breast also, also replacing parts and other basic functionality should be checked out.... Membranes, tubes, etc...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

My PISA is 4yo, but I had it checked out by the lactation consultants who had a gauge to measure the suction and it is all good. The LC seems to think I'd respond better to a pump with slower suction. With the PISA you can only adjust the suction strength.

Massaging the breasts isn't helping.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    have you tried using a diff size flange?
    The LC checked this too. I use 27mm on one side & 30mm on the left

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    also replacing parts and other basic functionality should be checked out.... Membranes, tubes, etc...
    I've replaced everything else
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

I second the parts.

Try getting new flanges, possibly a size or two larger. I know I had to get the next size up with my first and the rate the girls are growing I suspect if I have to pump a lot for this next one I'll have to go up another size.

Make sure the membranes are on properly and the little yellow pieces they attach to are snuggly fit onto the adapter piece. If either are loose, you won't get the proper suction and you won't get any milk going.

Have you tried hand expressing to get the milk flowing and then putting the pump on? I found I'd frequently have to hand express a bit, pump for a few minutes, hand express, pump, etc etc.

Other than that, if you're absolutely certain the pump is in good condition (which it sounds like you are) perhaps this time around you need to look into a different pump. If it is really a matter of being able to adjust the speed, perhaps the hospital grade medela pump would be worth renting? If I recall it had separate dials for adjusting the suction strength and the speed. If that works, then maybe try your PISA again and if it doesn't work then you might have to try to find a pump with adjustable speed. I'm not sure you can get one of those that are non-hospital grade.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Would your LC possibly let you try out a hospital grade pump to see if that makes a difference? That's what I would try.

Pumping 3x a day and getting 22-25 oz seems like a lot to me.
    According to kellymom the average woman pumps between .5 and 2 ouces. So three times a day at most would be 6 oz. Am I reading something wrong in your post?
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I pump at work for LO's next day at daycare, and get 9-12 oz, which is all he consumes the next day (1-1.5 oz per hour away from me). 22-25 oz. does seem like an awful lot, maybe you don't need to pump for that long?
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I use the Playtex Embrace. It has suction and speed controls, it's not automatic and you have to change them yourself but it is a great pump. Very similar to hospital grade for an obviously better price.