Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 month old-solids Q's

Default 7 month old-solids Q's

Does your 7 month old eat solids every day? And do you feed once a day, twice a day, or 3 times a day?
    I am lazy and don't feed her solids every day. Her ped thinks she should be eating twice a day (well, she thought that at 6 months, maybe now she'd say 3 times a day). I just feel like nursing is enough for her right now. When we sit down for dinner I will give her green beans, broccoli, fish, etc. She eats well if she feeds herself and is not interested in feeding off a spoon. My first was the exact opposite so I am just thrown for a loop here. I also had a great ped with my first, she was so pro breastfeeding and holding off on solids, etc but she moved. Boo on her! My new ped is just not someone that I would ask for advice and I hate that, so you ladies will have to do, lol!
    How do you know when to transition to lunch/breakfast as well? Nursing is just sooo much easier than solids.

Default Re: 7 month old-solids Q's

DS1 - we started OFFERING solids when he was 6 mo old. But he really wasn't very interested. We continued to offer on a regular basis (usually 1 time a day) but he really didn't get interested in eating until he was about 8.5 mo old.

DS2 - we also started OFFERING solids when he was 6 mo old. Totally different baby! DS2 immediately took to solids and loves to eat. If we're all eating and he doesn't have anything also to eat he squawks up a storm. Baby just turned 7 mo old. We don't always give him "breakfast" - depends on how crazy the morning is. We send some food to DCP and they offer that to him as "lunch" and "snack". If baby is awake when we're eating dinner then he sits with us and eats also. So on some days baby does get 3 "meals" plus snack.

We're just following the lead of our 2 very different LO. We give them opportunities to explore solids and then let them decide whether they want to eat and how much.

ETA: basically - if I'm eating then I give baby the option to eat also
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Your second sounds like my first and vice-versa!
    I think I am most worried about N not getting enough breastmilk. With my first I weaned her at one year because that is what I thought I was supposed to do. I want to nurse N until her second birthday, if possible. She's allergic to milk (so was my 1st), I suppose even if she "weans" I can give her pumped milk but that is not as easy as straight from the source.
    So if I start offering food when I eat my supply shouldn't go down? I don't know why I am worried, my husband teases I have enough milk for triplets.

Always offer to breastfeed first!

My #2 has been eating a ton but has NOT slowed down nursing at all. If I thought he was eating too much I'd slow down the solids.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for the advice.
    I typically nurse before & shortly after dinner. I think I will try her breakfast tomorrow, see how that goes. And I am going to stop over-thinking this whole solids deal.

It sounds like you're doing a great job following her lead!

Nursing before offering solids is a great suggestion; that way, you know she's filling up on your milk instead of solid foods (which are often lower in calories and nutrients than your milk). Until she's at least a year old, your milk should continue to make up the majority of her diet.

You can continue to follow her lead by offering her solids when she seems interested and it's convenient. Most 7-month olds won't be eating regular "meals" yet, but she can play and explore while you eat. Allowing her to self-feed, which it sounds like she prefers anyhow, also makes it much less likely that she'll overeat solids. She will eventually let you know when she wants food while you're eating!

Some mothers find the book Baby Led Weaning to be helpful, especially for a baby who wants to self-feed. Despite the title, this book is about starting solids ("weaning" technicially begins as soon as something other than your milk is introduced to your baby's diet).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    DS1 - we started OFFERING solids when he was 6 mo old. But he really wasn't very interested. We continued to offer on a regular basis (usually 1 time a day) but he really didn't get interested in eating until he was about 8.5 mo old.

DS2 - we also started OFFERING solids when he was 6 mo old. Totally different baby! DS2 immediately took to solids and loves to eat. If we're all eating and he doesn't have anything also to eat he squawks up a storm. Baby just turned 7 mo old. We don't always give him "breakfast" - depends on how crazy the morning is. We send some food to DCP and they offer that to him as "lunch" and "snack". If baby is awake when we're eating dinner then he sits with us and eats also. So on some days baby does get 3 "meals" plus snack.

We're just following the lead of our 2 very different LO. We give them opportunities to explore solids and then let them decide whether they want to eat and how much.

ETA: basically - if I'm eating then I give baby the option to eat also
    My Lo is the same as DS2 as described here. Really has loved solids from the moment we offered them to her. She participated in meals when it was convenient (i.e when she was awake and if we didn't have to go out somewhere etc). I saw it as a way of her trying out, exploring and practising her skills rather than 'filling her up'. If she liked it she would be offered more and we still do the same now at 13 months. She has always made it quite clear to us when she has not liked something or she is done - by throwing what's left on the floor!!

I followed the 'Baby-led Weaning' book by Gill Rapley that the pp mentioned and it was invaluable to me, both practically and explaining the theory behind the process.

Daisy's excitement of solids IME did not hinder her love of breastmilk and I am still breastfeeding her now whenever she wants to - usually before breakfast, once/twice in afternoon, bedtime, unlimited night feedings and comfort feeds at naptimes.

I also made sure I did not offer food when she was really hungry - about 45 minutes after a breastfeed and I fed her after a meal - I just followed what felt right at the time. She has always let me know when milk is her preference! I have let her drop milkfeeds when she has been ready (or when I was ready! )- Sometimes I hung on to feeds even though she was only interested for a few minutes because I love the feeling of calm and closeness they gave me.

I definitely think that all babies are different and like others have already said following their lead is a great way to introduce solids to them and therefore allowing this difference to prevail. If nothing else letting them self feed at their own pace (fast or slow) is one way to ensure you can eat a meal at the same time that hasn't gone cold, and for me, it has prevented any anxiety about whether my lo is eating enough or the 'right things'. As long as I offer nutritious food to Daisy, I can then sit back and let her choose what she wants to eat and how much. I am safe in the knowledge that she gets all she needs from my breastmilk and solids is an added bonus! That makes me very happy!

I am Sarah, mum to Daisy 21/02/09

We do BLS so we offer whatever were eating and at first she just played with it... now she's more then happy to eat whatever I am and usually off my plate, if i give her own plate of food with the exact same stuff on it she wants nothing to do with it but hey at least she's actually eating so i don't mind sharing
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz