Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleep troubles due to engorgement

Default Sleep troubles due to engorgement

I cannot rest well bc my breasts get too engorged and then I break out in sweats. I'm soooo uncomfortable. My LO is almost 6 months, he has a snack - short feed at 11 pm then goes down for night a good 8 hours. I have to pump a little to relieve at some point but I'm
    not sleeping due to discomfort. How can i shut down or taper off production at night? Could I be using the stimulation phase of my pump too long?

Thank you ladies
    Last edited by @llli*km789; April 4th, 2010 at 06:52 AM.

Default Re: Sleep troubles due to engorgement

Sorry the engorgement is keeping you from sleeping! Generally, the best way to fight it is to put up with it. Every time you remove milk from the breast, your body gets the message to keep making the same amount of milk. Every time you let it sit, your body gets the message to make less. But it's easy to say "don't pump" and hard to do. If you're in real discomfort, don't be afraid to use the pump or to hand express, but try to do the absolute minimum necessary for comfort. That means cutting both duration and intensity of pumping: if you've been removing 2 oz from the breast, try cutting it to 1.5 or 1 oz. If you've been pumping for 5 minutes, try cutting it to 3. If you've been using the stimulation phase on the pump, try eliminating that or reducing the amount of time you're using it. Hopefully you'll see a gradual decrease in the amount you need to pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! ugh A blessing and curse

Hey, Im feeling like I'm going to get mastitis. Any tips besides hot showers massage etc to deal with that plus trying not to pump

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*km789 View Post
    Hey, Im feeling like I'm going to get mastitis. Any tips besides hot showers massage etc to deal with that plus trying not to pump
    This page covers it: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

If you feel like you ARE getting mastitis, not just worried that you MIGHT get it, don't be afraid to use the pump. It's more important to get rid of the mastitis than it is to treat the engorgement issue. You can wait to fix engorgement, but mastitis should be dealt with ASAP.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you. that is a really helpful references
    site.

I've struggled with oversupply and random periods of engorgement (like, suddenly at 9 weeks I was tremendously engorged all the time for no apparent reason). I highly recommend cabbage leaves. They're cool and soothing, but there's also some sort of chemical in them that actually helps to relieve engorgement. Don't wear them around the clock or anything, but if you wake in the night and are uncomfortable, just grab a couple of cabbage leaves and put them into a sleep bra, it's so soothing.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.