Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you share your experience bfing a 37 weeker?

Default Can you share your experience bfing a 37 weeker?

I am scheduled to deliver my daughter via c/s Nov 29 of this year. I will be 37w1d. I'm a little anxious that we'll run into extra problems due to her being a little early. Can anyone share their experiences nursing a baby at this gestational age? Any tips. TIA!

Default Re: Can you share your experience bfing a 37 weeker?

i can understand your worry about this and so let me see if i can offer you any help.

if i were you i would not be so worried about nursing at 37 wks as i would about nursing after a c/s. i had 2 children vaginally and had Absolutely No problems nursing and then i had my 3rd via c/s and had such heartaches i almost quick (thank God for friends, family and LLL).

i believe having a c/s will autimatically put you at greater risks for problems for several reasons. first of all you will be in post-op pain that will make all kinds of movements very painful - not to mention a sore abdomen that you will be hesitant to lay the baby near. your desire to be comfortable will likely change the natural nursing position and could effect the baby's latch - be very cautious about this.
    also, antibiotics are NOT a routine part of natural birth (or at least in my opinion should not be) but they ARE with c/s. i have had a lot of girls with problems with thrush due to, i think, the intravenous antibiotics that do a bad number on lots of different body systems in you and baby. but there is probably no way getting around them so let me recommend hearty doses of acidophilus and 3LAC (awesome for yeast!!) as a preventitive.
    i would speak to a consultant BEFORE your c/s and find out everything you can to increase your odds of having a good nursing experience.

and by all means - make sure you are needing a c/s - get a second opinion!!! remember, this is major abdominal surgery!!

blessings
    k

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I had a c/s at 36 weeks, and our biggest problem was my DD falling asleep after nursing for a couple of minutes. I don't know if she kept falling asleep because she was early or because of the epidural, but I think it's a common problem for newborns. A lactation consultant showed me how to put DD in the football hold, which was the best position for us those first few weeks. I suggest you learn how to nurse lying down asap, even if it means having a friend show you how. It took me a few weeks to get it down, and boy do I wish I had figured it out sooner . If you're going to nurse practically 24 hours a day, you might as well stay in bed and rest!

Congratulations and best wishes!

Thanks you two.

I absolutely need a c/s as my son was born prematurely via a classical section-so, no VBACs for me

I really would like to learn to nurse laying down, but have positional vertigo and laying down by itself poses some dizziness issues let alone laying down while trying to nurse, but, I'll be open to trying once she is here.

I taught my 1 pound baby to nurse (well, 3 lbs by the time we figured out how to nurse) but that was *after* I recovered from my section. I know how horrible the pain is, and I am SO not looking forward to it. Thanks for the advice re: bfing after a c/s. I will try to be as prepared as possible.

I'm just so scared she will have issues with breathing or lethargy or temp regulation or latch, etc, that will make it more difficult to nurse, on top of the whole major surgery thing!

Anyone else?

ETA: I didn't have to be on antibiotics after my first c-section? I pray I don't after this one either-I get hard core yeast infections from ABX
    Last edited by carrie1602; October 1st, 2006 at 07:57 PM.

I ended up with an unexpected c-s but with a full term (actually late) baby. I had to have antibiotics too, prior to the attempted Vaginal birth , due to strep b test. THe antibiotics were PAINFUL, actually.

But anyway, I did not have problems at all nursing with the c section. It was way lower than the baby was going to be laying, in the bikini line, and I put pillows in my lap. Anyway she had no problem nursing, I had very sore nipples but that had nothing to do with the c section. I also had no problems due to the antibiotics.

The c section does of course make you sore for quite a time, but for me it was not any problem in dealing with the baby whatsoever. Reaching for the phone beside me on the table at the hospital, etc, was a little rough but dealing with the baby was not. Good luck to you!

I didn't have a CS but Jackson was born at 36w6d. I didn't have any problems nursing him. NICU was there since he was so early and med students (9 of them ) and it was over an hour before I got to nurse him. But everything went fine!

Best wishes for a great birth and a speedy recovery!

My first son was born at 35 weeks, and although he was born vaginally, we didn't have too many issues surrounding bfing. He did want to fall asleep a lot, but I made sure he was nearly nude and that did the trick; also, twitching his foot a little helped too.

My second son was born just this past August 3 via emergency c/s and he was born at 38 weeks. He too fell asleep so I'm not sure if it was their gestational age, but just sleepy babies.

I learned how to b/f holding my babies in the football hold style. A boppy pillow IS A MUST for recovering from the c/s while nursing. It takes all the pressure off the abdomen and is pretty comfy - except for the uterine cramping that is oh, so lovely. I used it for my first son, but am using it even more so now with my second. It seems to work really well on your bed, with your legs crossed, but mostly when you are comfortable and can see and feel your baby latching on correctly. My girlfriend delivered her son two weeks after mine and she too had to have a c/s. I told her about the boppy and she was happy I did.

I do hope this helps and best of luck!

Thanks a lot you guys-you've given me hope! I have my Ibuprofin bottle ready to go And I have a boppy and only nursed my son football hold so that will come like second nature hopefully! I really appreciate your input!

My baby decided he was ready at 37w1d (much to my suprise ... I didn't even have the "hospital bag" packed yet). He was able to root right after being born and did well with nursing from the beginning. This was even after a lengthy vaginal delivery that eventually required forceps. He was very sleepy for the first few days - but that might have been normal newborn behavior. We did skin to skin nursing for the first few weeks which might have helped. Now he's a very healthy almost 3 mo old. He's a little on the small size if you look at growth curves, but the pediatrician says he's been gaining weight well (average of about 1 oz per day) and is perfectly ok.

Good luck!

Lynn

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I, too, delivered all three of my kids via c/s. My most recent one was a little under 38 weeks, but was still 8.5 pounds. We had no problems AT ALL. You know, 38 weeks is considered full term, so your baby is only going to be delivered a couple days shy of that. It really shouldn't make too much of a difference. You will both be FINE!! Your baby will be sleepy and hard to keep awake for feedings, but that's true of most newborns!

Congratulations to you, and keep us posted!! If you want to chat more about the c/s, feel free to send me a private message!!