Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottle refuser, marathon BFer

Default Bottle refuser, marathon BFer

Hello, I'm new to the LLLI website and boards. I have a 10 week old little boy, first baby.

Issue #1: He's always been a little marathon nurser. He's gaining weight appropriately, has wet and dirty diapers all day long. However, he'll feed for about 2-4 minutes on one side, and start crying with the other side. Sometimes I can coax him to feed from the other for about the same amt of time while preventing a total meltdown. He will spit up on occasion, never cries when he burps or spits up, so my MD has ruled out reflux. Let it be, roll with the punches, or is there a problem? Oftentimes, this leaves me engorged on one side and I have to pump in order to be able to do things like sleep...

Issue #2: I return to work in a little under 3 weeks. I work 12 hour shifts, and will bring home pumped milk. We've been trying to integrate a bottle since about 6 weeks UNSUCCESSFULLY. He'll drink about 2 ounces in 30-45 minutes and then just cry. We're using Born Free bottles, which according to BabiesRUs website have great reviews. Is my son a bottle snob? If so, what should we try that will work, without spending hundreds of dollars on all sorts of bottle systems. I'm so scared to leave him alone when he's feeding like this from the bottle..

Default Re: Bottle refuser, marathon BFer

Don't know why I made the title 'Marathon!' More like quickie...lol

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. My daughter was a bottle refuser too. I don't have a lot of time right now, so I just wanted to speak to your first "issue."

It sounds like you may have overactive letdown. Here's a page on that:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Also, I think it could be reflux even if he's happy. Maybe someone will come along and speak to that for you.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

On refusing the bottle, some thoughts:

Your LO probably will not take a bottle from you (he knows he can get it from the tap). You may need to be out of the house.

Experiment with when baby is given a bottle. Try it before he shows signs of hunger, so it's less stress. Try it when he's first hungry, before he gets too worked up with hunger. See if there are times when he's more willing to accept it than others.

Bottles with a very wide base may be more familiar (and less likely to disrupt BFing). We use the Breastflow bottles.

Get a medicine dropper and make sure your daycare has it, so you know there's a backup plan to get SOME milk into him.

Some babies will "reverse cycle" - mostly sleeping and eating very little during the day when away from you, then cluster feeding at night. This is not easy for you, momma, but baby isn't going to starve.

I just went back to work last week (my LO is 12 weeks), and we're still figuring this out. Last week he took his bottles just fine. Today he absolutely refused, and only took 2 oz. by dropper the whole day I was gone.

Here are some links with ideas:

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec02p218.html

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBSeptOct94p152.html
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

MAM brand bottles/nipples/paci's is all my Lo will take. He is 8 1/2 mos. We were unsuccessful with other brands. This is the only brand he likes. Their motto is MAM is closest to MUM, or something like that. I should be thier spokesperson! m

Thanks for the suggestions, which have proven quite helpful. I think I have self-diagnosed with milk overproduction, and have realized my baby also has green stools (also part of milk overproduction/hind-foremilk imbalance). Going to try some of the LLLI strategies to fix the problem, hopefully that works.

MAM bottles are obtained at Target, perhaps I'll pick up one and we'll see...
    There are so many different bottle designs out there, and every baby seems to prefer something different. I guess I was just hoping to luck out with my baby liking the first one we tried! Oh well..

Hi

Just wanted to say I share your pain with the bottle refusing issue!! Our DS will take one only if not starving/tired and in the mood. There is no way on God's earth that he will take one from me. He looks at me like I have just stabbed him in the heart or something.

My DH tried to show me what he was like the other day and because I was in the house our LO got so upset and was choking and gaging-nightmare.

Just give your LO a little time and as the other PPs said try different brands.

Big
    Amy, very proud Mum to beautiful Gabriel, born 11/12/2009. We are looking forward to baby number 2 arriving in January

We loved , but stopped after 9 months because I went back to work. We think that cloth nappies rock

Could not have breastfed without the fab support of husband Chris and of course the LLL!!!!

I feel for you on the bottle issue. My lo is also a bottle refuser.He went 4 hours with out anything to eat when I had to take my older one to the ER. He usually nurses every 30mins - 2hours!! Luckly i don't need him to have one on a regular basis...but, somthing that was suggested to me was to actually use a regular cup to feed, or as pp have mentioned, a dropper. For my older son, I used the platex dropin system with the slow flow nipples. Supposedly they are more like moms breast.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

So, we tried the First Years Breastflow bottle system, which really dose seem to be a lot like a breast, 5 oz single bottle (I didn't invest in the whole system). He hated it, we dumped the milk out of there and into his Born Free bottle and he took two ounces. Not as much as I'd like, but he really didn't like the new bottle... oh well.

2 ounces is plenty at a time! Good for him. His caregiver should plan on feeding him 2 ounce bottles every couple of hours.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months