Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How Many Wet Diapers?

Default How Many Wet Diapers?

Hi There

How many wet diapers should you see from a 3.5 mth old? How many times should they be pooing? And how much should they be drinking? Mine drinks about ~660ml of milk. Her schedule is basically:
    9AM - 150-200 ml
    1 PM - 150 ml
    4 PM - 150 ml
    7 PM - 150 ml
    10 PM - 30 - 90 ml

Then she feeds the next morning.

Thanks

Default Re: How Many Wet Diapers?

Hi Nitu,

You sounds really concerned about your baby's eating and bowel habits. ((((hugs)))) How is it that do you know exactly how much your baby is taking in? Are you expressing and feeding or are you nursing?

In a baby at this age, you should be seeing 6 to 8 really wet diapers in 24 hours. (5 to 6 cloth) What does "really wet" mean? Take your empty diaper and feel it in your hands. Now add two tablespoons of water- this is what a "really wet" diaper on the low end will feel like. Add another 2 tablespoons for a total of 4- and this is what "really wet" will feel like on the high end.

Bowel habits of babies at this age can vary quite a lot. Some babies continue to have 3 or 4 (or more) bms a day; some go once every few days; some babies are "saver-uppers" and will go once a week and have a "mud slide." When observing bms, if they are stil soft (instead of hard like dog food pellets) then you can be assured that your baby is not constipated. Some babies may take a bit longer than a week even and be ok.

You cannot overnurse your breastfed baby. Babies will only eat the amount they want, and can do a lot of flow control. (barring oversupply issues) You may notice your baby flutter sucking, which is different than how they nurse when they are eating. As long as you are feeding on cue and having enough coming out, things are probably ok. Most babies need to eat *at least* 8 to 12 times in 24 hours; two hours from the beginning of one feeding to the beginning of the next feeding. Of course, as with all situations, if you are concered, you can contact your doctor.

More information here:

How often should I nurse my baby? http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/frequency.html

Does my baby need to be on a schedule?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/schedule.html

How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Will I spoil my baby by holding/nursing him so often?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spoil.html

and here : http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/FAQ...t.html?m=0,0,3

WarmLLLy,

Tallis

Not to nitpick, but shouldn't it be 5-6 disposible, and 6-8 cloth since disposibles absorb so much more?

YES! Thanks for that catch, Kate! My brain on cold medicine just doesn't work as well.

The best gauge for defining "really wet" regardless of diapering method is to use the tablespoons of water to get a feel for what is meant by the term.

Thanks again!

Tallis, going to bed now, lol

Thank you for the response. I pump and feed her as we had latch problems. She used to have BM frequently but the last couple of days it seems to have slowed. She does have wet diapers at every change which is about 5-6 so i guess its ok. She only eats in her sleep which is a bit difficult as she is sleeping less now. While awake, she will drink very very slow almost taking in nothing but as sleep she drinks very well.

Thanks

That's *fabulous, * nitu, that your baby will nurse while she is sleeping! That's a GREAT way to get her used to nursing, not to mention that babies can get as much as 25% of their overall daily intake by nursing at night. Plus, your prolactin levels (the hormone that tells your body to make milk) peak at night, between 2 and 6 am.

In Nighttime Parenting, by Dr. Sears, <pg 83> he writes, “Mother’s prolactin levels are higher when they are sleeping. Since prolactin is the primary hormone involved in milk production, the quantity of breast milk available should be greater when baby sucks at night. In cultures practicing unrestricted breastfeeding, studies have shown that infants obtain as many of their daily calories during the night as they do during the day.)Jelliffe and Jelliffe 1978). Growth hormone is also secreted mostly at night in babies and children. If babies are meant to grow at night, they are surely meant to eat at night.” I love this approach!

If you have The Baby Book, also by Dr. Sears, you can read about babies' normal sleeping patterns Here's a good FAQ :When Will My Baby Sleep Through the Night? http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/sleep.html

Most mothers find that if they co-sleep, they are able to get a lot of sleep while their babies get a lot of sleep while eating.

It sounds like you are definitely on the right track with getting your baby back to the breast! I hope you've been able to contact an LLL Leader and get some help with your latching issues.

WarmLLLy,
    Tallis

You've misunderstood me. I have to pump and then bottle feed her, which she takes beautifully while sleeping! Secondly, she doesn't drink at night :-( (although i can sleep full 6-7 hours without any disturbence.

Wow... six to seven hours? I think that if I went that long without pumping, my poor breasts would be bursting at the seams And I don't even produce that much... My son's three to four hour sleeping periods work just fine for me.

I am quite full in the morning but i am happy that i am able to get decent sleep. I pump about 6.5 oz in the morning and 3 of it is formilk which i throw out!