Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: looking for new positions

Default looking for new positions

ds is 7 weeks old, and i am ready for some new bfing positions. usually we go with x-cradle. i don't like cradle, he doesn't like football. side-lying is serving us well...does anyone know where i can find illustrations/photos of some other positions, or do you have any of your own to share? thanks.

Red face Re: looking for new positions

Try going to google and do a google image search entering in breastfeeding position. A whole bunch of images will come up including some of the regular ones but also some like a seated cradle and nursing while lying on your back. Some are better than others for encouraging a goog latch but try them out and find what works best for you.

Default Re: looking for new positions

How about beginning to experiment with nursing in a sling or similar carrier? That is something that definitely takes some practice -- and once you've mastered it, you can nurse anywhere, which I found wonderfully liberating after weeks and weeks of feeling tied to two or three nursing locations.

I'm hazy on references, but I seem to recall Dr. Sears' _The Baby Book_ having a good chapter on babywearing, with useful drawings and step-by-step explanations for each position.

Oh, one more thing -- as your baby gets older, positions that didn't work before might become easier. So once in a while, try out that football hold again and see what happens.

--Rebecca

Default Re: looking for new positions

thanks, guys - those are great suggestions!