Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Determined.. Need suggestions

Default Re: Determined.. Need suggestions

How are things going for you? I have been thinking about you and hoping that you and dd are doing better.

Well, I'd love to say we're EBF'ing, but unfortunately, everything I was trying took so much of a toll on my sanity that we pulled back and allowed ourselves the right to supplement. I went to a lactation consultant at the hospital and she told me that DD clearly wasnt getting enough despite taking Reglan, eating oatmeal, pumping often, BF'ing often. Apparently, babies should get about 2oz of breastmilk at every feeding - DD was getting .2 oz every feeding! yipes. So, we're breastfeeding as often as possible, but we're also supplementing to make sure she's getting enough food. For a while there we were trying to only supplement 4-6 oz. a day but it turned out we calculated that due to my low milk supply, DD was only getting 10oz total including those 4-6 oz and she should be getting 23 oz/day. As much as I want to EBF, I was so depressed I now have a scrip for Wellbutrin to help with that (I haven't taken any yet b/c I'm feeling so much better now that we're not beating ourselves up over the BFing issue).

Well, I'm glad you're keeping your sanity! Don't give up. My LC said to pump every time we gave a supplement, to balance it out. I assume that's what you're doing?

Anyway, I was in a similar place, with almost no supply for a long time. It ended up taking much longer than it "should" have for all the fenugreek and Reglan and pumping and everything to do any good. They said I should see results in less than a week but it took more like 3! But now (5 weeks later) I've almost got my LO weaned off of formula, only 4 oz, down from 15. I'm sure you can do it, too!
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Nipple confusion will certainly happen with the bottle. The suckling is different than the breast. You could use the SNS but DO NOT use this through the whole feed or you risk your baby getting hooked on it like the bottle. Do what Dr. Newman suggests with it. Nurse baby first then if baby seems to need more, then slip in the tube. A top IBCLC that I consulted with does not like the SNS at all and prefers the peridontal syringe. My babies are hooked on the SNS and are pretty old for that now. In the first few months problems can usually get ironed out, but once babies get older, it is hard to break habits. I had bad LC advice in the beginning. The top IBCLC has seen way too many babies get hooked on the SNS like what has happened to my babies. I would suggest interviewing different IBCLC's and then consulting with one. Don't go to just a LC, but one with the IBCLC credentials. The IBCLC's have to go through strict testing to get certified. Hospital LC's don't always have these credentials. I know a RN LC who works at a hospital who did not give good advice. Your baby could have a suckling problem, tonque tie, or something that could be contributing to this. They will help access what is going on and help you to get on track. I wish I had done that. I didn't know at the time what I know now. Most likely this can get ironed out and you get on your way to happy nursing!
    Last edited by Anne Marie; October 23rd, 2006 at 10:40 AM.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.