Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nighttime feedings are getting worse and interfering with solids consumption!!!

Default nighttime feedings are getting worse and interfering with solids consumption!!!

Hi! I work full time and when I come home my 8 1/2 month old wants to breastfeed from the time I woke from the door until I leave the next day. We co-sleep, and he wakes anywhere from every 10 minutes to every hour, 2 hours max (3 hours has been a miracle that only happens once in a blue moon). I was fine with this, but I keep getting more and more exhausted,as the wakings seem to happen more frequently each night. To top things off, he is apparently eating so much during the night, that he refuses to eat solids almost completely (my mom who takes care of him tries to give him rice/barley cereal in the morning, and then fruits and vegggies at lunch and then the same at home with me for dinner), but he will only take 1-2 spoonfuls, when there was a time he would eat everything with gusto! and at the most he is drinking 8 ounces of breastmilk all day while I'm at work! So I am getting worried that he is so "addicted" to the breast that he does not want anything else, plus his sleep patterns are terrible..today for instance I haven't been able to put him down for a nap for more than 30 minutes! (with my mom he does sleep 2 naps of 1-2 hours but I have no idea how she gets that done). Anyway, my question is, is this OK??? Other than the fact that I am about to collapse from lack of sleep, am I doing something wrong?? Is this healthy for him?? should I be worried? PLEASE HELP ME!!! I am guessing there are probably lots of posts about this subject but I honestly don't even have the time to go through them! So I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me...I am truly worried I am doing something terribly wrong and creating patterns that will be too hard to break later...my pediatrician tells me to let him cry at night since he does not need the calories because he is in the 75th percentile in his height and weight...ok, I think that is it..sorry for the long post...thanks in advance for your help!!!

Default Re: nighttime feedings are getting worse and interfering with solids consumption!!!

Your baby gets all the nutrients he needs from your Breastmilk so if he is not wanting solids right now that is okay. You probably still want to offer them but need not worry if he doesn't take them.

As far as him feeding all through the night it sounds normal to me. He probably just wants to make the best use of his boobie time. I'm a FT(new)M so can't offer more advice but I know some of the other gals on here can.

Oh and there is absolutely no reason to let your baby CIO (cry it out). That is a parenting choice. If I were in your shoes I would let my Pedi. know that is not something I was willing to do.

Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Default Re: nighttime feedings are getting worse and interfering with solids consumption!!!

I don't think you should be too worried since your LO is gaining and healthy, but- Wow, I am feeling tired for you just by reading your post. You really need your sleep to work full time and feel sane! I am a first time mother so don't have too much experience with this, but know when I don't get sleep I feel a little crazy. Is he teething and in pain that is causing the frequent night wakings? Does he have gas during the night that is causing him to wake again-uncomfortable- looking for mama to comfort him? Also sounds like he just likes nursing when his mama is home. I wouldn't worry too much about the decrease intake in solids. Did you return to work recently and he is not used to you being absent? I disagree with crying it out too. I hope you get some rest soon because you really need it. I really feel for you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redpowerlady View Post
    Your baby gets all the nutrients he needs from your Breastmilk so if he is not wanting solids right now that is okay. You probably still want to offer them but need not worry if he doesn't take them.

As far as him feeding all through the night it sounds normal to me. He probably just wants to make the best use of his boobie time. I'm a FT(new)M so can't offer more advice but I know some of the other gals on here can.

Oh and there is absolutely no reason to let your baby CIO (cry it out). That is a parenting choice. If I were in your shoes I would let my Pedi. know that is not something I was willing to do.

IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Sounds like he is reverse cycling, which is perfectly fine, although exhausting.

I was also going to ask if you think he's teething. That's around the time my DD started frequent wakings. You may want to try hyland's teething tablets, or motrin or tylenol and see if that helps at all. It could also be why he's suddlenly refusing food. Try something frozen, see if he'll eat that. Frozen fruits/vegetables/bagels whatever.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Just wanted to chime in that DD had not much interest in food until close to a year. She loves to feed herself now so anyting that is soft or that I can cook soft and make small pieces she will eat.

good luck, sounds like you could use some sleep!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Hi mama,
    Your situation sounds pretty desperate! I don't have any solution for you, but if you were entertaining the notion of letting the babe cry it out, don't let other mom's lay the guilt on you over it. I think we all need to find our own methods that work for us as parents and out babies. We're all different & our situations are all unique. You need rest as does your little one -- they need sleep to grow and develop just as much as they need your love & food to develop. Whatever course you take, good luck & don't beat yourself up over it!

-Jess

See my post in the sleep section...My third child has been doing something kind of like that for 16 months. Yep. 16 months. Talk about tired. And I have three kids.

CIO is NOT the solution But you aren't doing anything wrong other than responding to your child's needs for YOU and YOUR ATTENTION, and there's nothing wrong with that....if more parents paid more attention to their child's needs, then perhaps we would have a kinder, gentler society.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

hi everyone! thank you all so much for your replies!!! I am just so relieved that I'm not doing something wrong because that was my biggest fear...since I feel like he is getting "worse" every night...but you helped to calm me down, so thank you SOOO much for that...I will continue doing what I'm doing for as long as I can...because it is certainly exhausting and the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life...I think the worst part is comparing yourself with your friends who have children and seem to have it much more easy...oh well...

anyway, to answer some of your questions, he is not teething or gassy that I know of...he has had 8 teeth since age 6 months! and I did not recently return to work - have been working since november...so it really has been out of nowhere....that's what I thought it was getting worse because he was getting used to it and seeing how I would respond every second he cried by nursing him, he has learned to do it more often instead of learned that I will be "there" for him when he really needs me...

well, thanks again for all your thoughts, suggestions, and warm wishes!! I really appreciate them!!

p.s. how does one get all those icons about cosleeping, pumping at work, etc/?????

My DD goes through spurts of the hourly or more night feedings, and she is with me at work all day. I think it's an age thing (she just turned 9 months) and for her at least, I think nursing is her way of processing all the new things she is learning, kind of like people who go running to clear their heads. One thing that has worked for us, take a nap together during your day off. I don't know why, but she'll sleep for a longer stretch in a nap then at night. And then that night we sleep better too, and you get some rest too. I find it VERY hard to give myself permission to nap with her, but it has truly helped us when we can.
    Proud Mom of Guinevere Rose 7/11/09.
    We are loving this whole new world!