Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much EBM did you give at 4 months?

Default How much EBM did you give at 4 months?

I was a little disappointed at my girls check up last week. She only weighted 12.2 pound. My boss and his wife had their baby the same day and their son eats 6 to 8 oz of formula and weights in over 17 pounds. I give her 4 oz, which everyones says 4 oz isnt enough for her and she should be eating more. I looked on the internet for an answer, but they all said 6 oz or more. One said half the babies body weight, which seems like a lot to feed a baby. How many oz did you give you LO at this age?
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

Default Re: How much EBM did you give at 4 months?

Should be about 1 to 1.5 oz EBM per hour.

My baby was doing about 12oz in 8 hours at day care.

Babies are all unique and grow at different rates. Don't look at other LO but go by whether YOUR baby is growing well.

My 2 LO were same gestational age and same birth weight and same breastmilk. DS1 was teeny and always "barely on the charts". DS2 is a chubby guy and currently weighs more than big brother did at one year. Both babies are "normal".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My LO also takes 12 oz. in 8 hours at daycare. A little more in cereal, now. He does not STTN.

My LO only drinks 4 oz. sometimes 5 oz. with caregiver= 16-17 oz. on a 12 hr. day I work he does NOT STTN. I have the same situation. A co-worker had her baby 2 days after mine and is formula fed. He is wt at 20 lbs, while mine is 15 lbs. I don't compare them at all because my LO is thriving and doing great. Also my middle child was born the same day as my best friend's (they are 14 hours apart). We used to go comparing them, until we realized that it was useless and every person is an individual and grow at different rates. So my advice is to just concentrate on your LO and enjoy the ride
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Thank you ladies, I never was sure how much to give her, but now I am better informed. I couldnt believe that a baby never needs more BM, but the BM changes for the needs of the baby.

I know I shouldnt compare babies, but sometimes it is hard. I wanna know how she is doing. I know all babies grow at different rates so I have to try and relax and enjoy the ride.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

Just wanted to add my personal experience.

My baby is just about 4 months. He eats 12-13 oz. per 8 hour day of EBM. He is not STTN (not even close lol).

I'm glad you read these replies and are less concerned. You are doing a great job, mama!

I don't know about you, but I'm super psyched I made it to 4 months exclusively breastfeeding. I know that toughest times are behind us.

My son only ate 4 oz at a time through a year.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My 5.5 month old is still only drinking 3 ounces at a time. His feeding schedule looks like this (times are approximate, because the baby is fed "on demand" as he gets hungry):

8:30am - nurse at daycare
    10:30am - 3 ounce bottle at daycare
    noon - nurse at daycare
    2pm - 3 ounce bottle at daycare
    4pm - 3 ounce bottle at daycare
    5:30pm - I pick him up from daycare and take him home, he nurses usually twice in the evening before bed, then will nurse usually 2-4 times per night while we co-sleep.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

In a ten hour day, my baby eats 12 to 14 oz. He gets three 4 oz bottles, and one 2 oz bottle. He'll eat the four ounce bottle within around a half hour. i.e. 2 oz at 9 am, and then 2 oz at 920 am.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    My son only ate 4 oz at a time through a year.
    Same here. DD drank 2 4oz bottles when I was at work (I go home at lunch to nurse her)

Don't compare your baby to FF babies
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby