Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: gas?

Default gas?

Help.......I am a first time mom and my baby is now 4 weeks old. She breastfeeds well, but for the last 2 days she seems like she is hurting about an hour after eating. She isn't sleeping peacefully anymore either. She wiggles around and then you hear her pass gas and then she settles for a few minutes and then is starts over again. She also will kick her legs and cry. I have tried mylicon drops with a few feedings, but didn't notice any big difference. I think it is gas, but unsure. Does anyone have any advice? Also, should I avoid certain foods? Thanks!

Default Re: gas?

Hi there! Most probably is gas. Do you notice a difference with certain foods that you eat? Before you start cutting things out I would just try to make her as comfortable as you can. Work her legs up and down like a bike, warm baths, swaddle her tight etc. When my son was starting to have allergy issues he was very fussy, covered in acne etc. Do you have any of those symptoms? Sometime I think that tiny babies have a hard time with gas bubbles and as they get older the tolerance for the gas does also. Oh yeah, I have a friend who would burp her babies all the time, any time she was holding them she was burping constantly, that and laying them across her lap on their tummies seemed to really help her also.

I have the same problem with my 10 week old and it's been since birth. In addition to this her ped told me she was colicky and prescribed levsin. The medicine worked like a dream the first day, but stopped working after that. It is supposed to relax the stomach muscles and help things move more easily through the little bellies. Anyway, I took her off the med, b/c she struggled from 2 am 'til 8:30 am trying to pass a bm. She finally did and it was a lot, the consistency was the same, but much more mess!

The gas has never gone away through all of this, but I am hoping it will soon. I have taken so many things out of my diet, but nothing seems to help. I stopped eating cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, strawberries, cow's milk, most veggies, all citrus.....soon I will have nothing to eat. My doc says to keep the milk away and don't be too worried about the other things. Mylicon doesn't seem to help either.

Goodluck, let me know if you find a solution!!

Well I had the same thing with my DD and after all that I noticed she had a gurgly noise(very faint) even after about 20mins after nursing. I took her to the dr after discussing the fussing and the gurgling we discovered she had acid reflux which I struggled with myself .(should have seen the signs)
    well after I stopped eating all dairy , no broccoli, no cabbage, no peppers...ect.We keep her upright for 30min after each feeding she is a happy healthy baby. I have also noticed over more and more time she has gotten better . The ped said it is very common because the valve that closes off the tummy is very immature in infants and does not operate correctly it. Hope this helps!!