Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeping w/ newborn while breastfeeding..?

Question sleeping w/ newborn while breastfeeding..?

hey i am new to LLL. i am a new mom to a baby girl (2 mo. tomorrow!) I have alwys breastfed her from the beginning and still learning!! When my husband and I brought her home, we said she would sleep in her own room from the beginning. (Ya right) .. well, to our surprise, she likes to eat at least every 2 hours! Well, we thought to put her in our bed for the time being until her eating spreads out. So at night, i feed fer in bed and we both fall asleep. Does anyone else do this also? We definitely don't want to start a habbit, but it is soo much easier, plus I am so exhausted!

Thanks!
    Brenda

Default Re: sleeping w/ newborn while breastfeeding..?

Hi Brenda, and welcome to the boards! La Leche League doesn't have an official policy on sleep, and we believe that different things work for different families. However, many moms do find that cosleeping certainly facilitates night-time parenting and breastfeeding. It definitely helps cut down on sleep deprivation, as I'm sure you've discovered!

Here's a great article on sleep/cosleeping:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/cosleep.html

This very method is the only way I could survive when my son was tiny. It's wonderful to sleep while your baby nurses -- when we really hit our groove, I would wake rested in the morning with no idea how many times DS had actually nursed throughout the night. Do be sure to read the co-sleeping links so you can minimize any risks in the environment.

--Rebecca

Oh yeah girl! It is the only way i can get some rest. With 4 kids i need all the sleep i can get and if i didn't cosleep forget it

We co-slept for 5mo, but there are many forms of co-sleeping. For us, DS would sleep in a bassinet in our room for his "long" sleep, then I would bring him into bed when he'd wake up during the mornings. Around 5mo, though, I began to suspect that both DS and I were getting less sleep while co-sleeping instead of more. I couldn't get back to sleep between nursings because I was so vigilant about blankets and positioning, plus I was always so curious about watching him. DS also was turning into a light-sleeper and would wake frequently. We transitioned him into a crib in his room at 5mo, and although I miss him, we both sleep a lot more now. The hourly morning wakings stopped and now we're down to one night-waking for nursing. I like the quiet time with him and can appreciate it more now that I have some sleep. I don't think you're building any bad habits, but look to cues from your baby to see what works.

thank you all so much for your replys. This is a great discussion board!
    I am finding that my little girl will take small naps in her bassinet during the day. (Just started doing that actually) but I guess we will just wait and see in a few months about transitioning. Thanks again!!

I first read about the idea of cosleeping when I was pregnant with ds, and I thought the idea was crazy. "It may work all right for some people," I thought, "but not us. I need my own space!" Of course, that was before ds actually arrived and the reality of bf a newborn sunk in. I also didn't know how much I would love having him cuddled next to me at night.

I originally thought we would transition him to a crib when he got a little older... but this date kept getting put off as both dh and I loved having ds in bed with us. So, yes, I guess you could say a habbit was formed... by ME! I wasn't sure I could sleep well without him next to me! At some point, we decided to become a cosleeping family and not worry about needing to transition him at any certain point. We would wait until it seemed like the right time. I consider it the BEST habbit we've ever developed. Cosleeping has been one of the biggest blessings in my life, and I feel like it has really bonded us together as a family.

Now ds is 27 months old, and we're expecting dc2 sometime in the next few weeks. Ds is sleeping on a mattress next to our bed in our room. He made this transition easily, and I'm sure that he will make the transition to his own room at the time that is best for him. The baby will be joining us in our bed, and this time I'm no longer worried about creating any "habbits."

I LOVE COSLEEPING! I really feel it helped our family bond very tightly. It also saved me and probably my marriage when ds was feeding every 2 hours (i'm not the nicest person when I'm tired!!!). DH wasn't in complete agreement in the beginning but was willing to try. Now he says he can't imagine not waking up to ds's smiling face and pats on his arm. There's a great book called "the Family Bed" that is a wonderful resource. Just make sure you are doing it safely!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

My momma would start the night with all of us in our beds, then when we woke we'd get in bed with them. I'd like to do that too so I can have some time with hubby, bu my little one won't allow that yet. He sleeps next to me or not at all, I guess he's afraid the wolves will get him! Pretty smart, really.

Truly, we get to sleep with our husbands, but the babies have to sleep alone? Think of how many animal babies snuggle up next to Mom. It's not an abnormal thing to do, only in America!