Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLW/allergy question

Smile BLW/allergy question

Hi. We are still new to BLW. My son (7 mos) has had reactions to eggs and chocolate (just from my husband kissing him after a shake). So since he seemed pretty allergy-prone we were going to introduce a new food every 4 days, but that is taking forever. I feel like he will never be able to partake in our meals (the whole point of BLW). So I was going to start letting him eat with us (minus using the 10 most allergenic foods). So my questions are: 1. Is giving baby a bit of cheese or cooking with a bit of dairy in a recipe a concern if they can't have cow's milk until 1 year? 2. Is any bread okay if I am just avoiding wheat bread? Thanks a bunch!
    my adorable baby boy, and he loves it, nappies but love that little fluffy bottom, just started BLW & dishing out healthier meals for my family , vacuuming up a storm now that he rolls everywhere, and when I get a minute.

Mothering has definitely gotten me more in tune with my inner latent .

Default Re: BLW/allergy question

Cheese or cooked milk should be ok. And also yogurt. Easier on LO tummies when the milk is processed.

Lots of ways of doing BLW. we are doing with our second baby and big brother has multiple food allergies. Given family history it's important for us to intro foods slowly and do one at a time. Which means that right now I am preparing foods just for baby. From experience doing solids this way with our first child -it goes pretty quickly and will only be a couple months until I can cook / prepare dishes that everyone can eat.

Meanwhile - I am very grateful for BLW! The other night we were out for dinner and someone accidentally dumped the food we brought on the floor. I was able to give baby some greenbeans and oven potatoes to eat.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Oh - one thing I do is when cooking will keep some of the foods separate to give to baby before combining everything together or adding sauces. So baby is getting a "deconstructed" version of what we are eating.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*booknavel View Post
    Hi. We are still new to BLW. My son (7 mos) has had reactions to eggs and chocolate (just from my husband kissing him after a shake). So since he seemed pretty allergy-prone we were going to introduce a new food every 4 days, but that is taking forever. I feel like he will never be able to partake in our meals (the whole point of BLW). So I was going to start letting him eat with us (minus using the 10 most allergenic foods). So my questions are: 1. Is giving baby a bit of cheese or cooking with a bit of dairy in a recipe a concern if they can't have cow's milk until 1 year? 2. Is any bread okay if I am just avoiding wheat bread? Thanks a bunch!
    I would assume that your lo reacted to the dairy in the shake, not the chocolate. You should think about an allergist visit.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    I would assume that your lo reacted to the dairy in the shake, not the chocolate. You should think about an allergist visit.
    I was going to say the same. And from what I understand the 'new' recommendation isn't to limit when they eat what foods according to age (save for chokables of course) They think it doesnt have any effect on decreasing allergies. I can find the link and paste it in if you're interested
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

i always wait four days between foods, just so that if he has a reaction, i'll know what he is reacting to. i have had some issues with allergies myself, so it's a concern for me.

try to identify the main ingredients in most of your meals so you can go ahead and get them out of the way, and that way if there is something he hasn't had yet in what you're making for dinner, you can pull his out at the last second. like, i do a lot with rice, pasta, and potatoes, with the main meats being chicken and pork. so if i were doing chicken pasta but i wanted to put a cream sauce on, i would pull his portion first.

and i have read that cheese is fine before one year, and yogurt. something about the processing makes them more easy to digest. although, i gave yogurt to DS when he was 6.5 months, and his butt was not happy, but i have had my problems digesting cow's milk, so i think when we get ready to introduce other milk to DS, it will be goat's milk. that's what my mom had to give my brother and i when we were little.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    i don't remember where, but i've read that chocolate can be an allergen. i'll look into it more.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Anything can be an allergen including chocolate.

Since milk is a "top eight" for food allergies it's just more likely.

Other top food allergens are peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, wheat, soy, fish & shellfish.

Sesame is also a common food allergen.
    Lynn

@llli*lsksam That's a good point. I could give him slightly modified versions of our food.

@llli*shannon75 I think you are right. I kissed after eating some chocolate (without dairy) and did not see a reaction. I did not think of that. Thanks. We will be seeing an allergist.
    my adorable baby boy, and he loves it, nappies but love that little fluffy bottom, just started BLW & dishing out healthier meals for my family , vacuuming up a storm now that he rolls everywhere, and when I get a minute.

Mothering has definitely gotten me more in tune with my inner latent .