Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to get baby on a schedule??

Default How to get baby on a schedule??

My little one is 5 1/2 weeks old and eats completely at random. Sometimes will want to eat 15-30 minutes after previous feedings and other times will go 3-4 hours between feedings. There does not seem to be any pattern. Sometimes the frequent nursing time is in the morning, sometimes the evening.
    While this is not a big deal to me while I am on maternity leave, I am worried about when I go back to work when he is 12 weeks. I will be away from him for approximately 14 hours on the days I work (only work 3 days a week). I am concerned that that it will be hard for anyone taking care of him to know and understand his randomness of hunger. Is there a way to gently help him get a bit of a schedule?
    I am not interested in trying to get him to eat precisely every three hours or anything of that nature, just want to make his life a little easier for him once I go back to work. All I can find in literature suggests just letting them cry for a while, which just doesn't seem right to me since he so little and is such a good little guy.

Thanks!!

Default Re: How to get baby on a schedule??

Hi there! I jat want to first say welcome to the message boards!!! and congrats on your little on...

Its great you're trying to work this out before you go back to work... Whomever will be keeping him should thank you for your efforts!!
    I have a couple thoughts for you.. when he is nursing at these 'random' times, is he really hungry? maybe its just comfort nursing/sucking? do you use a pacifier? I am sure not all moms want to use one and I am in no way encouraging use of one, I just wonder??? My little guy loves loves loves his! (we only use it at nap time though) He has such a strong sucking need!!! always the sucking and the pacifier saves my nipples from falling off! I also want to say good for you for not wanting to just et him cry. I personally never felt comfortable with those theories either.. and so for my family, never practiced that- they have to learn the world is a safe place and responding to their needs early helps them learn this! ! okay- I hope I wasnt rambling too much as I am sleepy and need to go to bed... maybe look up info on comfort feeding..

hopefully someone will come by after me and give you some more info and a link or two- as far as a schedule... who knows - mine have always liked a schedule...

Hope this helps!!

Good luck!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I have a similar concern. My LO is 7 weeks old, and I'll be going back to work on Thursday. I'm hoping that going to the sitter will help to get him on a schedule. With being on maternity leave, we don't get up at a set time. I think once we're getting up and out the door at about the same time everyday, he'll get into a routine naturally. I'm also fortunate that he'll be with one other baby at the sitter who is already on a schedule. So basically, you're better than me cuz I'm hoping the sitter will take care of getting him on a schedule!!! It's just so hard when they're this young and being home with him, there's really no need for a schedule. I think I am going to "try" to get up early all this week in preparation. (Although taking advantage of the last few days to sleep in is definitely tempting!!! )
    Good luck to you!!!

My DS is 9 weeks old and he just has started his own schedule. We were frustrated in those earlier weeks becuase he was eating "at random" like you said. Also his sleep schedule was rather random.

As time went by, a schedule started to emerge on its own. But, as I went back to work this week, I told the sitter to watch for his hunger "cues" - sucking his fists, rooting, etc. She seems to understand this and feeds when he is hungry. I have her filling out a sheet daily with feeding times, etc. Which helps me see the emerging schedule. I don't know if this is feasible for you to do, since my sitter only has him.

But, since your LO is only 5 1/2 weeks, the randomness could be partly a growth spurt. My LO went through this at about 6 weeks, wanting to eat almost all the time, sometimes right after a feeding.

Hang in there... I hope someone else has more advice for you.

I'm not sure how to get LO on a schedule that early. My LO is 10 weeks and just last week kind of got on a schedule. for about 4 or 5 days now he has ate around 2am, 5am, 8am, 2pm, 5pm and then of course inbetween but that time varies. I think that most babies start to settle into a scheulde around 2 months or so. At least my LO is getting into one with eating. still no with napping though. good luck.

AH - the age old question of scheduling. 5 1/2 weeks is very young. I definitely understand your concerns about going back to work. Just trust that your DC will get on a schedule when he's ready - and hopefully it will get better in the next few weeks. There's a lot of growing going on in the next few weeks, so he'll be eating like a champ (hopefully).

Good luck and try to be patient - it will happen soon.

But, if he's still not on a great schedule when you go back to work, just try to have his caretaker keep track of all feedings so that you can help work him into a schedule!

Best of luck to you!!

Luckily my baby is pretty much on a schedule at night, but she does those random feeding things during the day. Her thing is, she'll eat for 10 minutes, fall asleep (and I'll try and try to wake her up but it won't work) then wake up after she's only been sleeping for about 30 mins to an hour wanting to eat again. Or if she is awake, she'll want to eat after an hour and a half or 2 hours. When she's sleeping she can go 3 1/2 to 4 hours (sometimes longer late in the night). Sometimes she does seem to want to "comfort suck". I can tell if this is the case if I give her my finger (I don't do pacifiers) for a few minutes and she calms down, then lets me take it away, she wasn't hungry. (This of course is if she has eaten fairly recently like less than 2 hours ago.) If she starts fussing more, I figure it's because she's wondering "Why isn't food coming out of this thing?" and that's when I feed her. Just remember that every time they cry doesn't mean they're hungry. Check diapers, or just hold your LO for a while and talk to him/her or play with him/her and see if that baby calms down.
    This is off topic, but sometimes my LO throws fits at night because she wants to stay up and she wants me talk to her, but I try to keep it low key so she'll go back to sleep! In these cases sometimes I just have to give in and talk to her for a while so she'll be calm enough to sleep when she's ready.

I'm just a first time mom, but I'm letting you know some things that have worked for me!