Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cow's milk allergy

Default cow's milk allergy

I am looking for advice or words of encouragement from mammas out there who have had LOs with milk allergies. I have basically eliminated dairy from my diet for months because of my DD's milk allergy. She is ten months old, and we have been trying solids since she was six months. She is not a fan of solid food, so we are pretty much nursing full time (she is EBF). On the advice of her pedi we tried dairy at nine months, but this was not a success because it brought diarhea and diaper rash. This is really disappointing because she LOVED the yogurt. When do babies get over this cow's milk allergy?

Default Re: cow's milk allergy

i don't know when/if they get over it, but have you tried goat's milk instead? that's what my mom did when my brother and i couldn't handle cow's milk. apparently you should be able to get cans of it at the grocery store in the same section as evaporated milk.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

If it's a true allergy she may never get over it. If you feel it is an allergy (as opposed to a sensitivity) you *"should"* consider getting her into an allergist soon for testing.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

And if it's a cow milk allergy - the usual recommendation is to NOT do goats milk since most LO who are allergic to cows milk also develop allergy yo goats milk.

Not unusual for a LO that age to eat few solids. Some just get into solids later.

I agree with the suggestion to make an appointment with an allergist.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My daughter's allergist said no goat's milk and not to use soy either.
    She outgrew her allergy at 2 1/2. Unfortunately my 2nd baby is also allergic so I am avoiding dairy as well.