Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Omega 3's

Default Omega 3's

Does anyone give their LO omega 3's? I gave my 8 mo old 1/4 tsp Nordic Naturals Childrens DHA and it made him sick to his stomach. I felt really awful . I am a firm believer in fish oil/omega 3's. Does anyone use this?

Default Re: Omega 3's

Wow, I am surprised nobody has responded. Is there not many omega 3 users out there?

I take a fish oil supplement and I recently started offer one to my DD as well. She nurses plenty, but I thought it might help with her passing firm stools. The jury is still out.

At 8 months, your baby is getting the Omegas through your BM. I would not think there is any need to supplement baby directly until they are older or you wean.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

with the previous, plus we give foods like flax seed and avocado (trying to work the fish in there) in addition during the week. I prefer "whole foods" to supplements when possible.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will wait awhile before offering it to him again.

If I were you, I would read this article, subtitled Novel Oils in Infant Formula and Organic Foods:
    Safe and Valuable Functional Food or Risky Marketing Gimmick?
    , before you supplement again. While most of it is geared toward adding these supplements to infant formula, it goes into detail about where DHA comes from. If your supplement is not a natural source, ex. fish oil, odds are it is a chemically extracted Omega-3 that has some very specific differences to the natural stuff.

Here is one excerpt that speaks to what you describe:

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC, a healthcare professional who also heads the National Alliance for Breastfeeding Advocacy, ... explains that a subgroup of infants reacts very badly to DHASCO and ARASCO in infant formula: “This is similar to how some people react to Olestra. Most people experience no side effects, but some do. After consuming DHA/ARA formula, some infants experience watery, explosive diarrhea.”
    Sam Heather Doak, a nurse in Ohio, says that the nursing staff at her local hospital’s neonatal unit refers to DHA/ARA-supplemented formula as “the diarrhea formula.” Doak explains that she has seen some babies on DHASCO supplemented formula with severe diarrhea. Vulnerable infants sometimes experience catastrophic impacts from such, sometimes prolonged, bouts of diarrhea.
    Olestra being the oil compound that they tried to use to make "fat free" potato chips. It also causes loose/frequent stools, and can lead to embarassing incontenence. I imagine upset stomach could be a milder form of this reaction.

Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladydilee View Post
    If I were you, I would read this article, subtitled Novel Oils in Infant Formula and Organic Foods:
    Safe and Valuable Functional Food or Risky Marketing Gimmick?
    , before you supplement again.
    I was JUST coming here to post that! I have been blabbering on and on about that forever!

And there is also this from Dr Hale:

There is no evidence whatsoever that breastmilk is deficient in DHA, and there is no evidence that DHA supplements taken by a nursing mother will improve the long term outcome or IQ of her baby. Nursing mothers who get more DHA do have have higher levels of DHA in their milk, but it is not known whether these higher levels are beneficial or what the optimal levels might be. Vegetarians, particularly vegans, tend to have lower levels of DHA in breastmilk.

Dr. Thomas Hale recommends that normal breastfeeding women should not be supplemented with polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). He indicates that while it is true that populations who ingest large quantities of fish and therefore polyunsaturated fatty acids do not have cardiovascular disease, he has indication that their rate of stroke is much higher, and so recommends that "supplements" not be used.

Nursing and pregnant women are certainly encouraged to eat natural sources of DHA and alpha linolenic acid. Good sources include:

* cold water/oily fish and fish oils (e.g., salmon, mackerel, herring, tuna, sardines, anchovies); fresh fish is better, as freezing destroys some of the EFA; avoid consumption of fish that may be high in mercury
    * green leaves of plants, including phytoplankton and algae
    * some seeds and nuts (flax seeds, walnuts, canola, linseeds, pumpkin seeds)
    * some legumes (soy beans, Great Northern beans, kidney beans, navy beans)
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thank you for the link. I have not read this article yet.