Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cereal... how do you know when?

Question Cereal... how do you know when?

My LO is 4 months old...How did you know when to start rice cereal? My Dr. asked me if he seemed satisfied with just the breast...I think so?? How do you tell if youre just home all day feeding on demand? My LO has always eaten every two hours unless he's napping or we are running errands. I dont know? They say it seems like you've returned to having a newborn that just wants to feed all day, but my LO would camp out on the breast all day if I let him. Also, I thought that if they want more and more that that alone would increase your output and your body would meet baby's need. I'm so confused. I don't want my LO to br hungary and I don't know it, but I'm not ready to put the "outside world" in his little body yet. He does chew his hands A LOT, but he puts everything in his mouth. Let me know if there is any specific sign I should look for or if no matter what its just something I will know when the time comes.

Thanks Bunches!!!

Default Re: Cereal... how do you know when?

Lots of moms never offer rice cereal. While it's fortified with vitamins and minerals, aside from that it's just pure starch. Not the healthiest stuff! So feel free to choose something else when it's time to start solids, which IMHO and according to the American Academy of Pediatrics is around 6 months.

This link talks about signs of readiness for solids: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

PP
    My LO is 6 months and I started him 2 weeks ago on solids. NO cereal as he gags and it really is not useful except for empty calories. As long as your LO has enough wet and dirty diapers and gaining adequate wt, I wouldn't worry much. Also... My LO puts his hands in his mouth but mostly because he is teething, not because he is hungry.
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

We started with cereal, you don't have to, but we did, depends on your preference and what you want to do. We tried some solids at 6 months but DS didn't take anything til 7.5 months and he took to the cereal best.
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

I have this problem, my 4 month dd went from 6lbs 14 oz at birth to only 9lbs 8 oz now and is at the very bottom of the weight scale for her age, she was slow to gain weight if not on formula and now ped says to offer rice cereal in the morning and at night but she just spits it out and cries!

since it's a weight issue should I keep trying the cereal? Any tips?? I feel so bad.

fyi nurses well and has at least 5 wet and varying dirty diapers, sometimes twice a day sometimes once every 4-7 days. but seems happy!
    Even started babbling a couple days ago.

Breastmilk has more calories than the cereal. So if you have a low weight issue, don't push the cereal! Nurse, nurse, nurse!

Anyhow, the kellymom site has the list of readiness signs. We never did cereal, either.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

I didn't read all of the other posts, but here are some readiness cues. YOu'll know the time is right when your baby can take a n active part in feeding. He can do that when:
    he can sit up

use the muscles in his neck to hold his head up straight

mouth his fingers and his toys

open his mouth when he sees something coming

turn his head away if he doesn't want it

stay opened up if he does want it

keep his tongue flat and low so you can put the spoon in

close his lips over the spoon

scrape food from the spoon with his lips

keep the food in his mouth rather than squeezing it back out onto his chin

Before you take the big step to solid food, it is all important that you and your baby feel successful with breastfeeding.

OK, I read your post more carefully and will say this:

if your baby doesn't like eating from the spoon, don't make him

if you aren't getting any pleasure out of it, stop

Dr. Sears website has a lot about when babies are ready for solids it has a check list and everything.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again