Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So many allergies?

Default So many allergies?

My DD (10 months) is currently allergic to dairy...anything made with dairy that comes into contact with her skin causes her to break out into hives.

Last night after dinner, she developed red spots all over her chest and back. My assumption is that she was allergic to something she had for dinner - she has had all of those foods before. She had haddock, brown rice and squash that had a little bit of cinnamon in it. Sounds like either the cinnamon or the fish is the culprit (from the research I've done)...anyone else experience this? I honestly feel like we have to be SO careful about what we give her. Think she'll grow out of this?

Default Re: So many allergies?

Yes you do have to be careful.

She may or may not grow out of it. I can't find any solids numbers saying either way. Most kids 'grow out' of certain allergies more often than others (peanut is rarely lost).
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Have you had your lo tested mama? If not, that would be the first place that I would start.
    Cinnamon is a common irritant, whitefish has a high allergy profile. It could be either of those foods. Or another component of the meal, it's very hard to know after the fact until you pull what you thought the culprit was and test.

My DD has allergies to peanut and soy, which are present in many processed foods that, on first glance, have nothing in common with either one. If a true allergy is present, you must be vigilant. The current thinking is that eliminating the child's exposure to their allergens increases the odds that they will "outgrow" it. In the case of peanut, only about 20% of kids outgrow it and it is usually be three years of age.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I also strongly encourage / recommend making an appointment with an allergist.

Testing isn't perfect but can be helpful to help sleuth out what's going on.

AND the allergist will probably also write a prescription for an EpiPen for your LO.

It's not a fun thing to think about, but all food allergies should be considered potentially life threatening.

When I got an EpiPen for DS1 I cried and was honestly a little freaked out. Now I am grateful to have EpiPens for him and we carry them everywhere we go.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

That is horrible! I would agree with the cinnamon or fish. Myself and daughter are both severely allergic to fish or seafood of any kind. I didn't develop my allergy until I was five and I had been eating it from 10 months. One day I got hives and my throat started to swell shut. My mom said she was scared to death. With my daughter, she broke out in hives when it was cooked at a friends house. She was tested recently and has an Epi-pen. She has never even touched it. Seafood is one of the top allergens. I would go to an allergist, I put it off but it was the best thing I could have done. I am dealing with allergies with my son now to and an allergist has so much more info the his regular doctor. It really makes life easier. Good luck, I understand what you are going through.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

Thank you all for your responses! Sounds like I do need to make an appointment with an allergist. Can someone please tell me exactly how they test for allergies? Is it a "scratch test"? Is it painful?

There are a couple of tests that they can do. The RAST is a blood test, and then the "scratch" or skin prick testing. We never had the RAST done, but I can tell you that my DD had had three rounds of SPT and she never even looked more than curious about what was happening. My allergist used her arm and removed all the allergen serums as soon as the set time to see a reaction had passed. I was amazed at how my DD just took it in and didn't try to move her arm or cry at all, so based on my experience I would say that it is not necessarily painful. Maybe uncomfortable.

Testing will at least give you a place to start if your child shows reactions to several foods. And as PP's mentioned, having the Epi-Pen in hand makes me feel so much better now, but it was a big adjustment.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

lots of info about allergy testing HERE

includes a description of my DS1 first allergist appointment
    Lynn

My son has had the SPT twice and he gets upset but it's more because I have to hold him still and restrain him than anything else. Both times he's fallen asleep after a few minutes. He's also had the RAST test done twice, where they drew blood. The first one was awful, he's so tiny his veins were hard to find and they kept closing. It was painful for him and hard for me to watch. The second time we had a really excellent tech who did a wonderful job and it didn't bother him a bit.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

If they are going to draw blood for RAST - ask to first use ELMA or other numbing cream. It needs to sit for awhile (at least 30 min??) so needs do be done at the beginning of an appointment.

My DS1 does NOT like having blood drawn, but at least I know with the numbing cream he's upset at being held still and does NOT react when the needle actually goes in.
    Lynn