Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: so glad we're doing BLS!

Default so glad we're doing BLS!

I had put up a thread a week or so ago about how T is grabbing at food on our plates and was wondering if he was ready for solids then.

I talked to DH about it and he was saying he's ready because he's grabbing at the food and I kept saying how I wanted to wait because it would be better for him.

But after much time of just not getting through, I was like fine, buy some bananas and we'll see what he does.

So I cut up some bananas and set it down for him to grab. Which he did, but he let go of it.
    So I tried again today (with DH present) and he showed NO interest what.so.ever.

I was/am so very happy that he has showed he's not ready (which I knew) but now DH is satisfied that we tried at 2 separate times and he did not eat anything.
    And I'm even happier that we're doing BLS because I have a feeling if I would have done purees he would have eaten it just because it was being put in his mouth.
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

Default Re: so glad we're doing BLS!

My LO's about yours' age, and I'm starting to do research on starting solids. So one question pops up when I read your post: how did you cut the banana you gave your son? I mean was it really small bits? what would have happened if he had put some in his mouth? Would you have let him eat it?

Sorry if the questions seem silly but I'm a first-time mom, have always been EBF and knows absolutely nothing about solids. I'm trying to get Gill Rapley's Baby-led Weaning (as suggested in this forum) to read but the library doesn't have it yet.

I didnt start BLS with DD until she was almost 11 months! I am not a first time mom, but just took her cues...she wasnt interested in eating, didnt like jarred foods for the most part. I am CERTAIN that at 5-6 months I wouldnt have given her pieces of any food, no matter how soft! But thats just me! FOr her now, I cut up the foods into pieces smaller then cheerios. I guess if you were to break cheerios in half, that size. I make the food soft or buy ripe bananas, avocados etc...I just yesterday steamed baby carrots, sliced them up for her and she devoured them! Funny thing she refuses jarred baby food carrots. She also LOVES sweet potato but not from a jar!
    Last edited by @llli*dara; March 30th, 2010 at 04:50 AM.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

I dont know what I would have done if he tried to eat it Maybe just watch to see his reaction? But i knew (based on readings and what my mom had told me) that he wasn't ready. But when DH was always pushing it, I needed more than just something for him to read/listen to to prove my point.

I cut the banana into strips so he could hold some in his hand and if he wanted to put it in his mouth he could. But all he did was either just mush it in his hand, or have no interest in it what so ever. He actually was more interested in the plate

So now we wont be doing anything until he's atleast 6 months and I get to make yummy banana bread
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

Glad to hear it. It's great to wait til 6 months at least! More time for only nursing
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10