Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reheating milk -- what timeframe?

Unhappy Reheating milk -- what timeframe?

My mother-in-law tried to give my 5 mo old daughter a bottle this afternoon (while I was @ work) when she wasn't hungry. The bottle was heated in warm water on the stove. My daughter wouldn't take it. Can I reuse this bottle for her feeding tomorrow morning? What is the timeframe w/in which I can reheat it? I underpumped today, & I'm having issues w/ the milk I have stored in the freezer (180 oz -- potential lipase issue -- not sure yet), so I'd hate to have to toss this & resort to supplementing w/ formula for daughter's PM feeding.

Default Re: Reheating milk -- what timeframe?

Aaargh! My husband did this once, and my daycare twice. It is very frustrating.

The rule is not to use it, and certainly don't chill it and then reheat.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Unfortunately you're better safe than sorry in these situations. The recommendation is to offer the milk at the next feeding but to discard after that. You can read more here if you're interested
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Well, I think the general "rule" is to not re-use it and throw it out once it's been heated 1 time, but *I* would never throw out that much EBM, if I could help it. *I* would probably try re-heating it once more, within a couple hours of originally being heated up, and *then* if my LO didn't drink it, I'd reluctantly throw it out.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I worked from home today so this wasn't an issue. We tossed this milk after all. My LO doesn't like the bottle much & will only take it when she's very hungry. She's teething, so admittedly it's tougher to read her cues right now (she's way fussier than usual), but oh do I cry inside when tossing out my EBM. Thanks for your input, ladies!