Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jaundice

Default Re: Jaundice

Well, I would certainly supplement if it were required. The part that ticks me off is that he wasn't even going to test--just prescribe formula. And its so sad, because its often hard to get baby back to breast after 2 or 3 days of supplementing.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*e.b View Post
    Well, I would certainly supplement if it were required. The part that ticks me off is that he wasn't even going to test--just prescribe formula. And its so sad, because its often hard to get baby back to breast after 2 or 3 days of supplementing.
    I am one who was a FTM and had the same recomendation, the only "postive" and I say that gritting my teeth is the ped did recomend pumping and storing during the supplementing and to only summplement for 12 hours and we would retest. So while it wasn't bad, I was having a horrible time breastfeeding and if I wasn't so committed, I would have given up very easily!

I bet you wanted to give him some

Thank God you are not a newbie and knew enough to demand the testing!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

They did the same with Lucy. Which is odd, because they discharged us from the hospital with D with higher levels than Lucy had. They mentioned nothing about Daniel but to put him in the sun (even tho he was born in December) But pushed formula for us with Lucy who was born in August. I told them IF we need to push her to poop my sister would either nurse her or pump milk for me to give to her. They shut up.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

uggg thank goodness you know better.. I wish it was sunnier for you... since that is a big help.. Maybe these storms we are getting will blow some sunshine your way..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Yes, thank goodness you know better. 12 is not that bad of a number for jaundice. Both my kids have been jaundiced at birth... when Mason was born and got jaundiced, they were pushing me to give him formula, even though my milk came in super fast, like on day 2. He was nursing fine, peeing and pooping like a newborn should, and laying on a bili bed and under a bili blanket and they still recommended the formula. Since I downright refused to give him a bottle, they gave me some droppers, and I gave him 1/4 ounce of formula, which he promptly puked up. After that, I didn't give him anymore formula and just nursed him lots, and his numbers came down. (That is the only formula he has had since his birth! )

It makes me sad how many moms out there don't know any better and would follow that kind of horrible advice given by a doctor.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

This problem of bad advice by doctors seems to be widespread and prevalent. I have read several examples of this on here and experienced it myself. Does anyone know what LLL is doing to combat this?

For those lurking and wondering about breastfeeding and jaundice. An informative article by Dr Jack Newman:

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Bre...20Jaundice.asp

sounds like baby G is doing well. Glad you know what's what and know to discard bad advice.