Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaundice

Default Jaundice

So, I took the baby in for her 1 week weight check. She's a bit jaundiced and the doctor walks in and mentions it. I knew she was and had asked for a heel prick test, just to reassure me. Today was the worst. He IMMEDIATELY, without saying anything first, said, "Are you breastfeeding?" I said yes and he says, "Well, we'll have to take her off the breast and put her on formula for a few days. You can pump and your supply will be fine." He didn't even suggest testing first. I said, "Well, we'll see what her levels are first" and he said, "Well, I can only make suggestions, not judgements."

Seriously--are doctors this pathetic? It was a walk in family clinic. Oh, and her levels were 12. Bleck.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Jaundice

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

That sounds really frustrating.

I remember with Logan he looked like a tub of yellow play doh but when it was checked it wasn't actually that bad. You're smart for asking it to be checked.

Did they recommend anything aside from the formula?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

so frustrating . . . we went through this recently with dd2. We had to go in every day for awhile to check her levels. When they got to 18 they told me to stop bf ans supplementing . . . we didn't . . . numbers went down the next day and she was fine . . . for 12 though?!? ugh

Why wouldn't they give her some time under the lights then? As non-breast friendly as my hospital was, they never suggested that I stop giving her breastmilk. The point is for them to poop, and it doesn't make sense since formula is binding. Yet I hear people say it all the time. I would see if I could get her some time under the lights instead and work on getting her to poop.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

When I had T he was jaundice and my mom had looked up to see what were good things to do to lower his levels. Being in the sun helped and she also read that breastfeeding on demand helps to flush out the jaundice.
    I'll have to look to see if I can find that website.

ok, I dont think this is the site she looked at, but this one says to increase nursing as the best way to flush out the billiruben is to increase intake as it will increase output.

It also says that supplementation and ceasing breastfeeding for 24 hours is when the levels reach 20+. So at 12 i really dont think you would have to stop.
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/fir...ndjaundice.htm
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

Can I give you some more

Perhaps you could print of the WHO recommendations for breastfeeding. Maybe some info on breastfeeding and jaundice. Maybe some on the testing. And turn it in to his supervisor with a written letter. Hehe. Well that's what I would do. How you'll find time with a small baby I don't know. But that is not acceptable. Think about all the uninformed people that are affected by this man, luckily you were informed enough to know better.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post

That sounds really frustrating.

I remember with Logan he looked like a tub of yellow play doh but when it was checked it wasn't actually that bad. You're smart for asking it to be checked.

Did they recommend anything aside from the formula?
    Sugar water. Which is an ancient recommendation. And sunlight, which is tough right now because we are in the middle of a winter storm watch. She really doesn't need any treatment at all--her numbers should be dropping now anyway. He didnt even recommend testing again after he saw the numbers. But if I hadn't demanded testing...it is scary that others probably listen, unknowingly, to this man. And if this were my first....

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thomas's numbers were in the 20s, and we did have to supplement, and thought we were going to have to do a total blood exchange, but we were also dealing with a blood-incompatibility issue between him and me. You probably already know this, but bilirubin levels tend to peak at around 5 days after birth, and usually begin leveling off/dropping at that point. And thank goodness you knew to get the number, not just give formula because he said so. Lots of people don't know that.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.