Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is she ever going to eat solids?

Question is she ever going to eat solids?

i have 5 kids all two yrs apart except our youngest who is 9yrs apart from my son.shes 13mo.she has always LOVED nursing.so much so that it has been difficult to get her to eat solids.i asked the dr.because she will gag and throw up if she doesnt want it.he said if i want her to eat i will have to 'get tough'and not let her nurse until she eats.he also said she has a strong gag reflex & she doesnt know how to move her tongue correctly to chew.she was eating once a day sometimes,but now she starts screaming at the sight of babyfood.my other kids nursed for a yr.&all ate fine-what should i do?

Default Re: is she ever going to eat solids?

DS wasn't much of a solids eater until he was about 15 months. He got it eventually.

Are you trying lots of different textures, I wouldn't eat if the only thing out there was babyfood.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

i have tried mashing up sweet potatoes.also feeding her from the table with mashed potatoes or some bananas cut very small.she will hold a baby cookie & lick it,but if any little crumb gets in her mouth she gags.

I am not a doctor, but a baby who gags on a crumb at 15 months might have so physiological issues. I know that when we start with baby led solids gagging is a good thing because it means they know how not to choke, but not if it is every time. In the absence of someone coming on who knows better i would try and find another doctor. I am not trying to alarm you, but you have a LOT of experience as a mom and if you are thinking there is something wrong, there probably is...
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

my DS who is now 4 1/2, has sensory issues when it comes to food. He used to gag on foods as a baby. Mixed textures, chunky, certain temps, textures or consistancies would have him gagging. He still has issues to this day. VERY PICKY...

My DD who is just turning 1, dosent seem to have these problems, though I can tell you that she inst that into baby food. She likes lots of foods that are cooked soft, like carrots, sweet potato, reg potato, blakc beans. She also likes bananas and avocados, but likes to feed herslef. She cried if we try to feed her! When I do give her a jar of food, she will take a spoon or 2 and then CRY and shake her head. She just wants to feed herself!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Sorry this is so tough mama! I wouldn't not nurse until she eats, that's kind of rough. Just keep trying and she'll take it when she's ready. It's tough
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

My son had difficulty with solids, and wasn't able to eat them successfully until he was 2 years old. At one point he went to an occupational therapist who said that, when a baby is having difficulty swallowing solids without gagging and choking it is important to allow the baby to experience the food with all of their senses -- in other words, let them play with the food, don't try to feed them. She recommended providing a variety of different types and textures of food on a regular basis, and allowing baby to just experiment with them to find what suits them and to get comfortable with food, since many develop some aversion if they have been encouraged to eat when it doesn't feel alright for them.

We were already doing those things, so she just encouraged us to continue, which we did. We also eventually sought the help of a Chinese Medicine Practitioner, and, as I said, around the time he turned two, something clicked into place and he has not had any trouble with solids since.

I must add, however, that we were already in the midst of many diagnostic procedures for various health issues my son had, and I would certainly recommend that specific physical problems be ruled out in your child's case. The doctor who suggested that you cut back on breastmilk to encourage her to eat solids is not hearing your full concern -- you are, as I understand it, not concerned that she isn't wanting solids due to lack of hunger. I am understanding you to be concerned about the fact that she doesn't enjoy eating solids because she always gags on them. I would be sure to either make that very clear to the doctor, or find another doctor who is able to listen to you.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Smile Re: is she ever going to eat solids?

thanks soo much for all of your advice! I decided to not be in a hurry for her to eat solids & just take our time.I would love some suggestions for different foods to try! really love hearing your stories.even though I have other kids and am not a new mom,I sometimes feel like one with my youngest,analia,since there was such an age difference!