Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning the nipple shield--help! lack of milk supply

Default weaning the nipple shield--help! lack of milk supply

I have an 8 week old that weighed 4 lbs 14 oz at birth. Because she was so small at term and lost 7 oz and was jaundice, they suggested a nipple shield and to supplement formula in the hospital. I am now regretting both. Isabella does not nurse well, so of course, I give her formula. I pump every time she nurses but I only get one ounce unless I go 5 hours, I get 1 1/2-2 oz. Usually she nurses only 5 minutes on each side and cries for more and that's on a good day, then she gets the 1-2 oz I pumped at the last feeding and 2 oz of formula. She is gaining well, but I want her to nurse more. I think the nipple shield is hindering my milk flow. I am trying to wean her off the shield, but she wants nothing to do with my breasts because she is so used to nipples. What can I do?

Default Re: weaning the nipple shield--help! lack of milk supply

Hi Abby,
    Thanks for your response. She weighed 7 lbs 5 oz almost 2 weeks ago when I took her to the doctor for colic. She should be about 8 lbs now. She doesn't always eat that much. At night, she just takes the 2 oz of formula or 1-2 oz of pumped milk. Most of the time, she doesn't want to nurse, even though I offer it to her, probably because the bottle is faster. I am taking Fenugreek. I will try the tea asap. What is the SNS?
    Tina

Default Re: weaning the nipple shield--help! lack of milk supply

I forgot to ask: How much milk should I be pumping for an 8 week old? If she doesn't eat at three hours, it is usu. is about 1 ounce, at 5-6 hours 1-2 oz and if she does nurse I only get about 1/2 oz. I am using the First Years electric pump and I just bought a manual Avent. Do I need to invest in a more expensive dual pump such as a Medela or do you think once she is off the nipple shield, my milk will increase?
    Thanks for your help. I plan on seeing a lactation consultant and calling LLL in my area soon, but in the meantime, I am willing to take all the suggestions I can get.