Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: making your own brown rice baby food

Default making your own brown rice baby food

Okay, somewhere on here I saw info on making your own brown rice baby food, oatmeal, etc. I can't seem to find where that was now, and I didnt copy down how to do it. Maybe its as simple as cooking it and mashing it a bit? There's probably lots of opinions. any thoughts? My baby loves feeding herself with a spoon, although most of it gets everywhere else! So I would like to try some new things like rice.

Default Re: making your own brown rice baby food

How old is your baby? I think most babies who are old enough to use a spoon should be able to handle regular cooked oatmeal without any mashing.

As for rice, why not just cook it and offer it plain? Ds loved this from about 6 mo; he would feed it to himself with his fingers.

I agree with the PP, that there is no need to mash it ... and even better would be to just give her cooked brown rice plain. My little one loves organic oatmeal ... I make it really thick so she can actually pick chunks up with her fingers to feed herself (or a spoon if she's in the mood).

Also check out my reply to a similar question:

http://forums.llli.org/showpost.php?p=51104&postcount=3

HTH!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thanks for the help! I'll just give it to her then and see what she does with it, just like with the other things- sometimes she grabs the spoon and uses it, sometimes not. Making baby cereal otherwise seems complicated! I don't need any more complication. I really wish this whole solids thing wasn't so confusing sometimes! So many opinions.

I agree with the pp that if baby is into the chunks just go for the rice or millet or whatever. I started out a little chunky, but my lo really seems to prefer soupy at this point. What I did was blast a bunch of organic brown rice in the blender until it was basically flower. I then put it in a jar and keep it in the fridge (so much easier than doing it every time you want to make cereal), once a week I just throw a tablespoon or so in boiling water (1/4-1/2 cup) and cook it for about 10 minutes on low. That makes enough for about 3 days worth (as long as the cooked stuff can last in the fridge and about as much rice as I want to give her in a week). The dry rice lasts in the fridge up to a month.