Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about one breast not getting soft after pumping

Default Question about one breast not getting soft after pumping

This is something I have always wanted to ask so here it is:

Ever since I have pumped my right breast stayed firm while my left breast would become soft after I pumped out my milk. Sometimes the right breast will pump less milk than the left and other times the left will pump more. Thats not really what I was wondering about, but just wondering if the two are connected. But why would one breast stay firm even after I have taken the milk out?
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

Default Re: Question about one breast not getting soft after pumping

I can think of 2 possibilities:

1. You're not removing milk completely from the right when pumping, which is why it stays firm. (If your right side is soft after nursing, then disregard possibility 2.)

2. That breast has naturally fuller/denser tissue than the left, and the firmness is unrelated to amount of milk in the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My right breast does not empty as easily as the left. Here's what I've learned to help empty it better. Compressions don't work as well on that side. I actually massage, almost push the milk out when I get a letdown with the pump. I go from the top of my breast toward the nipple, all around the breast. Don't forget about the armpit too. Does your breast hurt? If not, I wouldn't worry too much. FWIW, my R breast produces about 1/2 what the L does.

I know there is no more milk in there after I pump because nothing comes out with compressions. It gets soft, but not like the other. I thought I wasnt taking all the milk out at first, but I know I am. I have no pain until it is finished and I am still letting the milk come out of the left side. Then I have a sharp pain but goes away with a few compressions. Odd, but never thought anything of it. The amount of milk that comes from each side changes and so does the side that pumps the milk out faster.

Just always wonder that since I bagan pumping and if I was the only one.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!