Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sucking on meat

Default sucking on meat

was anyone else's LO *scared* of meat? DH tried giving DS a piece of steak tonight to suck on, and he was actually flinching away. i know he's not a vegetarian, cause he likes chicken, but i thought this was weird.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Default Re: sucking on meat

How old is your baby?

Way too lazy for formula

Mine does this with a lot of foods we offer him. I think it's just tastes and textures being differant and he needs time to get used them. After months of offering avacodo to the same effect you describe (flinching, getting willies, gagging) he ate some tonight and liked it. I read somewhere that it takes upwards of 12 times offering and trying before an actaul "like" or "dislike" is established.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

he's 8.5 mo, and while he has refused foods before (hated carrots on Monday), he's never reacted quite like this.

I would just back off. Kids don't automatically like meat. It's an acquired taste. Be didn't even play around with meat until between 9 and 10 months and then only chicken. We waited until after the year point for beef and pork. There is so much other stuff that can be played with in terms of fruit, veggies and grains. And really meat should only make up 15-20% of what they eat a day long term. So don't feel like you need to rush it.

Way too lazy for formula

My LO hates chicken won't even put it near her mouth just flings it around but she loves STeak... she'll yank it out of our hands and suck on it and she'll do a flinchy thing/twitchy eyes... but we figured out(she's done it to a few other foods) that its because she is really excited and really really like sit
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

yeah, i hollered at DH (i was taking a bath) to not try to force it on DS (which he wouldn't have anyway), but to just offer and if he didn't want it, we'd try again some other time. so it will probably be a while, because we don't go out for steak that often.

at least he likes chicken.