Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: so bored with night nursing!

Default so bored with night nursing!

this is far more of a winge than a serious complaint but jesus something's got to give! he barely feeds in the day, sometimes at nap time but not if we're out or daddy's in charge (obviously), just at night. the frustration is getting a bit much. i think i'd manage it better if it were consistent but sometimes it's 1-2 times for weeks then we'll get a 4-5 times a night week and i just can't hack it! i need a proper night's sleep, i would love to let his incredibly eager grandparents take him for a night, some sense of privacy in the whole boob area would make a great difference to my sense of self. i think if i'm honest with myself, we're probably not far off weaning completely and it's just cumulative stress building up making me want to quit at the last leg of the journey. i've let him guide me in this but am aware that from maybe 8-9 months i've not been entirely in the nursing relationship. i don't believe in crying it out, i know he'll sleep through eventually, i know he will wean especially as he is happy not to feed in the day. i'm kinda thinking that this winter is the time to make a concerted effort to wean if i want to lead it as that's when our life is most settled (no big trips or major changes planned). just tired really and needing to complain!
    Art student and Mummy to Luca born 12th June 09 and Elidi 18th of May 11
    How can time go quite so fast

Default Re: so bored with night nursing!

Have the nights of 4-5 times been associated with teeth? I know that Lilah really steps up the night nursing when she's teething... she has three canines coming in right now, and it's BRUTAL!!

What will you do if you wean him and he's still waking up 5 times a night? Do you have other comforting techniques?

Sleep at my house was a nightmare on and off from around 7ish months to around 14ish months. Are you cosleeping? Have you thought about having Daddy take over every other waking or something to help you get a break?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessamy View Post
    it's just cumulative stress building up making me want to quit at the last leg of the journey.
    When I'm tired or stressed, I always start feeling this way too.

For us, that age is a prime time for night nursing. All of my kids have done that. They are busy during the day and don't nurse much during the day, so they use the night to reconnect. Cosleeping is probably the only thing that saved me, so at least I was laying down or sleeping through the nursings. It was the worst with this last baby...he couldn't do it quietly. He fussed and cried with me right there but we got through it. Teething will really mess things up. Any changes in your life will mess things up. Which will make the night nursing increase for a while.

Don't give up this close...just keep working on it and you'll get through
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My baby is a month older than yours, and ugh, YES. Except think more like six or seven night nursings, and you'll be closer to the reality. Joe is currently in the process of cutting four molars and his eye-teeth. I think nursing at night helps distract him from the discomfort.

This is a phase to be survived. Cosleeping definitely helps. Also, maybe some motrin or tylenol? We've found that helps a little with the teething pain.

You're not alone!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thank you guys. yeah we cosleep, daddy doing alternate wakings isn't really an option as he can't function on broken sleep and the grumpy man thing is hell for all! ah well, it's all just a matter of time i suppose. gonna nag my way to some lie ins i think...(i mean politely ask for them...)
    Art student and Mummy to Luca born 12th June 09 and Elidi 18th of May 11
    How can time go quite so fast