Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help on optimizing pumping with Lansinoh Double Electric Pump

Default Need help on optimizing pumping with Lansinoh Double Electric Pump

I have a Lansinoh Double Electric pump. And a Medela (but that thing just rips my...ouch). I would like to better optimize milk removal. I have tried breast compression with massage and pump and shake, but neither method removes more milk or milk longer. I was wondering if you guys might suggest anything else that might help remove more milk from my breasts? I know the pump is no substitute for the baby, but I am trying to make the most from my pumping sessions. Thanks,
    Barbara

Default Re: Need help on optimizing pumping with Lansinoh Double Electric Pump

Have you tried adjusting the suction and speed settings throughout your pumping session? I used the Lansinoh pump too and at first I was turning both up as high as was comfortable and leaving it there for the whole time. But then I found that if I turned them down once the letdown started that I could get more milk out. (closer to most babies' nursing pattern, ykwim?) Then I would turn it up again until I got the second letdown. I have heard that for others, starting lower and gradually increasing works better.

Are you sure you have the right side shields? I bought larger sized once a few months in to pumping and that yielded more milk too.

Agree re: making sure your shield/flange size is correct - your nipple shouldn't rub the sides at all.

You might try to apply heat. There's a product called Booby Tubes, which is basically just flax seeds in a cotton tube that you can microwave and coil in your bra. Might be able to make your own.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Not with that model pump, but I did have more success with pumping only one side at a time. I pumped both sides together for a bit, then switched to just one side at a time, switching back and forth over 40 minutes or so. It seems like the suction wasn't right when I had both sides hooked up.