Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long should I pump for low milk supply?

Default How long should I pump for low milk supply?

I have been instructed to pump 8-10 times a day (which is a different issue entirely!), for twenty minutes maximum, five-seven minutes minimum, by a lactation counselor. I just read a few places that said don't pump for more than X minutes without any milk. Some places said 3 minutes after the last drop, others said 5. So I am not sure what to do about that conflicting information? I cannot reach my LC until Wednesday, so I wanted to get an answer or opinion before then. If I only pump for a few minutes with milk, should I pump the full 20 without any milk, or should I do 3-5 minutes after the last drop? Please help, I really need to get my supply up! Thanks,
    Barbara

Default Re: How long should I pump for low milk supply?

I pumped through two letdowns which worked out to about 15-20 minutes. I pumped, got a letdown, after the milk flowed stopped, switched to rapid sucking for about two minutes or when milk let down again, once milk flowed again switched to slower suction until it stopped.

It worked really well. I discovered I didn't have a supply issue really, but my DD had a milk transfer issue.

To make your life easier, get an old sports bra and cut slits in it and slide the breast shields through the slit so you can pump hands free. It works great!

I've been pumping at work for 8 months. I always pump through 2 letdowns. It takes 15-30 minutes, depending on the day. Some days I'm more relaxed than others and it can take a little longer. Sometimes I even get 3 letdowns. Some people find they can letdown better through multiple letdowns if they power pump. 10 min. on/10min. off, repeat. Oh yeah, the key to increasing supply is removing more milk. The more milk you remove, the more milk you will make. That means more than time at the pump.

I pump 15 min a time but then also one 12 on, 12 off, 12 on session in the a.m. for low supply / poor milk removal on my baby's part.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.