Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First time freezing EBM

Default First time freezing EBM

I have some bags that I got for free from various places during pregnancy and in a few weeks I'll be leaving my LO for about 4-5 days for an out of state business convention. I want to start pumping now so she will have to be supplemented with formula as little as possible.

When it comes to freezing milk do I just pump and dump it in the bag and chuck it into the freezer?

Another question, when I pump more do I dump it into the same bag (I only get around 2 oz per session) or use a new one every time?

As far as thawing, sit it in warm water I assume?

I want to make sure i know 100% of what to tell the mother-in-law.

Default Re: First time freezing EBM

Ok, so just to let you know, I am new to this, so by no means am I an expert, but this is what everyone has told me.

After you pump, put the milk in the bag and refrigerate it. Once it is cold, then you can freeze it. Freeze it in 2 to 3 ounce increments to minimize waste once it is thawed. When I heard this, I laughed because she is on the breast for like 20 minutes at a time, but she really only drinks a couple ounces at each feeding. I hope this helps.

Oh and just fyi, I always get the most milk if I pump after my morning feeding!
    Happily married to my BFF since 10/20/07 (after dating for 3 and a half weeks!!!)

Had Madelyn 2/4/10

her for 11 1/2 months, but then I lost all my milk...

Due to being with #2!!!

Kevin arrived 7/2/11

He is absolutely perfect!

You can leave it in the fridge for 7-8 days (some sites say 3, but I've read you can really do a week), so some of the milk you make in the days leading up to your trip you won't have to freeze @ all.

I freeze in 4oz stashes, b/c that's what my son takes. When I first went back to work, it was 3oz. I think 2oz increments is a good start if you don't know how much she'll take.

about pumping in the morning.

I pump for the day, and then divide my goods up at the end - it's varying amounts in 3-4 collection bottles, and I mix and match to make the amounts even and THEN divide into different bags. You should cool the milk before adding to previously chilled milk (i.e., don't add body temperature milk to refrigerated/frozen). I've heard you can add cold milk to freezer milk, but I have a hard time doing that b/c I freeze my bags flat to save room.

Be sure your mo-in-law knows that once breast milk has been thawed (from frozen) it has to be used w/i 24hrs - I start the clock from when it's completely thawed, so if there are still frozen chunks, I still consider it frozen - and once it's been WARMED, it has to be used right away (within an hour, I think).

For warming, my daycare keeps a crock pot (set on low or high, can't remember which) full of water to warm the bottles. For a quicker warming, run warm-to-hot water from your tap into a bowl w/ your milk bottle in it, or just hold the bottle under the tap. NEVER microwave.

Hope that helps! Good luck on your trip.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks! you guys have been awesome and answered all my questions. Now hopefully I can fit the pumping in with my needy DD!! (14wks)

Have you pumped and frozen any and then thawed to make sure that you don't have a lipase problem? Hopefully you don't like I and apparently many others do. You might want to freeze a sample batch to make sure you don't need to scald it before freezing. :-)

^This

I don't have this issue, so I forget to mention it. Good catch!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

how will i know if i have a lipase problem and how would i scald? that sounds bad for the milk and nutrition.

at 14 weeks I'd freeze in small increments. My very young babies never took more than 3 oz at a time.

There is some info about lipase here. Hopefully some experienced mamas will come give you some in person advice. It's not something I've dealt with.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

So my only option is to defrost the milk and see if my baby will take it?

oh and is it ok to add freshly expressed milk to cold milk because I normally only get about an oz and a half when I pump because my baby eats every 2 hours and I don't have any extra supply

Cause I want to try to save milk in 4 oz batches cause that is what she was taking in formula last time she was baby sat.

If it's just a little bit of fresh milk I don't worry, but you are supposed to chill both before mixing.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos