Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLS first foods (I feel like a newbie again)

Default BLS first foods (I feel like a newbie again)

We are coming up on 6 months here and DD is sitting well, has a pincer grip (kinda anyway) and grabs everything from plates or cups. We have been giving her spoons and empty cups and the like but I am ready to start food with her soon. We did BLS with DS but he wasn't at all interested in food until almost a year. I can't remember what we did with him at all (all those pregnancy hormones in me, and all the first trimester puking I guess).

I was thinking:
    • Banana
    • Steamed carrot
    • Baked potato wedges
    • Canteloupe
    • Steamed green beans

Sound like a good start?

I am really looking forward to doing the gluten stuff that we didn't with DS - pasta, fresh bread, toast and the like
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Default Re: BLS first foods (I feel like a newbie again)

for more ideas - see THIS thread
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My LO is the same age and we started BLS two days ago.

Started with steamed sweet potato sticks the first day and bananas the second day. She didn't seem to like the sweet potato so maybe I will try baking them instead of steaming. She really liked the banana but it was really slippery for her and might have been a bit too ripe because it kept breaking apart.

We are going to try avocado next then maybe steamed carrots, broccoli and pears.

There are also some good (and very funny!) videos of people doing BLS on Youtube as well, if you are a total nerd like me and like that sort of thing. There are some good ideas on how to cut things and what not.

We're having lots of fun so far!

Those are all great ideas, my son also loves baked pear slices. He can't get enough! They are so soft but still easy to pick up. Have fun!

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

Thanks for this thread! I am hoping to do BLS this time too. Only 1 more month until he's 6 months!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Thanks for this thread! I am hoping to do BLS this time too. Only 1 more month until he's 6 months!
    Where did the time go Buff? Surely they are still newborns
    But for the fun we are going to have with solids

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    Where did the time go Buff? Surely they are still newborns
    But for the fun we are going to have with solids
    I know! They SHOULD still be newborns. It's crazy how fast time is flying... I swear I was just in the hospital a week or two ago giving birth?!? Well, that's what it seems like anyway...

I just can't figure out how I'm going to do BLS since my DS goes to a daycare center... Daycare will provide infant cereal and purees, but since I'm thinking of skipping those this time, I don't know how we will do it? No outside food is allowed to be brought into daycare for protection of the kids with allergies.

What I'm thinking of doing is just doing BLS at home for a while, and still just have him drink EBM at daycare. Then once he's eating a decent variety of foods, get a copy of the table-foods menu and just go through and circle what he's allowed to eat, so he can sit at the table with the other kids? I did the menu thing with DD, but she was already eating rice cereal and oatmeal and veggie/fruit purees...
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    What I'm thinking of doing is just doing BLS at home for a while, and still just have him drink EBM at daycare. Then once he's eating a decent variety of foods, get a copy of the table-foods menu and just go through and circle what he's allowed to eat, so he can sit at the table with the other kids? :
    That's what I did with DS. Only I eventually started sticking a pot full of the nasty crud my MIL kept giving me (It was organic and stuff so not what we normally refer to as "cheeseburger food" just I really dislike the purees) into his DC bag (and he refused to eat it for a long time - not a big solids eater my young man). At this point DD is in DC so infrequently it will not be an issue. There is talk of them upping my hours but we will see.

Family beds are awesome

Question Re: BLS first foods (I feel like a newbie again)

hey this may be a dumb question but I keep seeing bls on this forum-what does that mean?

Baby led solids

Or in the UK "baby led weaning"

basically skipping purees and going directly to finger foods

baby self feeds
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)