Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids vs. formula

Question solids vs. formula

DD has been EBF for 4.5 months and I would like to continue it that way, but I can't seem to pump enough for her while I am at work. I don't want to go on formula, but I have also heard that you should wait until 6 months for solids. If I had to supplement, which would be better? I am leaning towards solids (cereal)...

Default Re: solids vs. formula

Formula is definately the better option at this point. Solids should not start to take the place of breastmilk until much closer to 12 mo. When you do start solids, it's best to start very slow with small amounts and focus on fun and learning. Baby should not be filling up on solids which oz for oz have less calories and far less fat than breastmilk. Formula at least has far more complete nutrition and is designed to be closer to breastmilk.

Now, I wonder if you could avoid both. How many hours are you and baby appart? How many oz does she drink during that time, how many bottles, how many oz per bottle? How many oz are you usually able to pump and how often are you pumping? How often does she nurse while you are together?

There are many things you can do to help increase pumping ouput:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Also, you want to be sure baby is not simply taking far more from the bottle than she actually needs:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

This is for mummy- I was just about to ask how much milk one needs to give in order for it to be beneficial. I have been exclusively pumping since my baby was three weeks and he's now 5 1/2 months, and it's really getting old. I tried everything to get him to nurse and saw a LC all summer-nothing worked. Honestly, I'm tired of lactating. I went back to work in early Aug (I'm a teacher) and pumping 8 x a day (3 at work, 5 at home, including the middle of the night) is very hard. Anyway, I was thinking of cutting back once he reaches 6 months. I've always supplemented a little (about 4 ounces a day) b/c I could never pump enough. 30 ml is a very small amout, do you remember where you heard that? Also, I know b-milk is good for years, but do you know when the benefits start to become not as important? If he had nursed, I would have def b-fed for a year, but he doesn't, so even though I'd like to make that goal, I shudder to think I'm not even halfway there, and I want to enjoy his babyhood, not want to fly through it. I would really appreciate advice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by darleen View Post
    I was just about to ask how much milk one needs to give in order for it to be beneficial.
    ANY amount of breast milk is beneficial to your little one.

Kellymom.com states:

Disease, allergy-prevention, immunological benefits - Research has shown that the benefits of breastfeeding are generally dose-related: the more breastmilk, the greater the benefit. But even 50 ml of breastmilk per day (or less - there is little research on this) will help to keep your baby healthier than if he received none at all. In fact, the immunities in mom's milk have been shown to increase in concentration as the quantity of milk decreases.
    Nutritional benefits - There are components of mother's milk which cannot be duplicated - even a small quantity of these can be invaluable to your baby.

Also, I know b-milk is good for years, but do you know when the benefits start to become not as important?
    You might find this link helpful:

Breastfeeding Benefits Over Time

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thanks a lot to both of you for the help. So far he hasn't been sick once, and I do credit the breastmilk for that. My main concern is brain development. I looked up research on this a few weeks ago and I could not find anything that gave a term of time as being most effective, though all of the research said b-milk was best for brain development. I am also wary of formula, although I have had to use it a little, since I can never pump quite enough. The most I can pump at one time is 5 ounces. I so envy the people who can EP 5x a day and have extra for the freezer.
    He will suckle for a few mins and sometimes longer, but it never seems to satisfy his hunger. His latch is fine, so I don't know what it is. He seems to want the milk to flow faster. He was little and jaundiced as a young baby and was impossible to wake. We began to supplement b/c he wasn't gaining fast enough and he INSTANTLY preferred the bottle. Oddly though, at first he took close to an hour to eat 3 ounces from a bottle, so I think there was some feeding issue there all along. He's really thriving now, and is happy and extremely aware and observant. I wasn't planning on completely cutting him off at 6 months, just scaling back. Pumping just makes everything so much harder.

Quote Originally Posted by darleen View Post
    I am also wary of formula, although I have had to use it a little, since I can never pump quite enough. The most I can pump at one time is 5 ounces. I so envy the people who can EP 5x a day and have extra for the freezer.
    You mentioned before that you pump 8 times a day...how much milk is he drinking in 24 hours? The average milk intake for a breastfed baby is 25 oz in 24 hours.

He's drinking about 30 ounces a day. I don't want to try to cut back, b/c his growth has been great-he started off the charts and now he's right above the 25th percentile, which I'm happy about. Also, he doesn't eat unless he's hungry (he refuses the bottle then-he's not the type to eat just b/c he's being offered). I always make 4 ounce bottles, and that's good for him. When he's really hungry, he goes nuts, which is partially why I think he didn't like b-feeding-too slow. I try to catch him before he gets there, but it happens fast.

I am also a teacher and can only pump once during the day (I get about 4-5 oz), I also pump in the morning (4 oz), after I feed DD and once in the afternoon or evening (usually in the evening I can only get 2 oz or so). That gives me about 10 for the next day. DD takes two bottles at 5oz each. Was working until last week when Daycare provider said that it was taking too long to feed LO and she wanted a faster flow nipple (very irritated with that). Now she thinks DD could take 6 oz or so a feeding. I cannot keep up with that kind of demand. I am also starting to wonder if she really needs that much or if it's because of the faster flow nipple. DCP is also commenting on how DD needs to be on solids ("the other baby has been on solids for 1 month" - again don't get me started...) I guess I am just feeling like I don't know how much she needs to be taking, 2) I feel like I am constantly attached to the pump 3) I feel stressed.

darleen,
    30 oz is still within the normal range (20-30 oz), so I would say you are not overfeeding. Have you read the info at this link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html ? I hope there are some ideas there that can help you pump a bit more.

AmyJ,
    Your daycare provider needs to worry more about taking proper care of your baby and less about what takes "too long". Go back to the slow-flow nipple; stand your ground on this issue. It is her job to take care of your dd, and if she is no longer able to do that, then you should look into finding someone who can. Your baby does not need solids and she certainly doesn't need to be drinking from a fast-flow nipple. In fact, both can cause problems. Obviously, you dcp is feeling overwhelmed with her responsiblities; maybe she needs one less baby at this pont.

Thanks for the link. I'm doing everything possible, eating oatmeal everyday, using a hospital grade pump, etc. I think I'd be ok if he nursed, but he won't. Also, pumping and teaching is very hard. Our breaks are very short, and people are always trying to drop in during them.