Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Birth control options-milk supply

Question Birth control options-milk supply

Myself as well as 2 of my friends all have given birth and one to go. We all have talked about BF and bc options. One got the IUD soon after having her DS. He is now 5mnths and her milk supply has almost dried up . My other friend hasnt tried anything. I have a RX for the mini -pill but afraid with my current milk supply up's and down's it will make it worse.
    Thought I would do a survey for the choices everyone has made and if they made an impact on your milk supply. I would love to do natural family planning but dont thnk we can afford a slip up jst yet especially with DD just turning 3mnths

Default Re: Birth control options-milk supply

It's mainly the combination-type birth control that nursing mom's want to steer clear of. Anything with estrogen in it is likely to impact your milk supply. Chances are if you've used the mini-pill (which is a progestin-only form of birth control) without any ill effects on your milk supply then you can go on to use some other sort of progestin-only birth control -- Mirena IUD, Depo Provera for example.

I'm really of no help in this department -- my husband and I used condoms in between our children and now he's had a vasectomy so I cannot attest to my personal experience with any other forms of birth control while nursing

What's going on with your supply to make it go up and down? Perhaps we can help with that.

I second the use of condoms.. no hormones and in 10 years of using them hubby and I have never had an oooops baby
    Has your period returned yet?
    if not your odds of becoming pg are low.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/fertility.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/ba/Nov01.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Jan99p128.html

Exclamation Re: Birth control options-milk supply

My period has not returned yet and I say yet hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones that it does not return till they are weaning.. we shall see.
    I am unsure as to why it is going up and down. I have the Avent Isis hand pump. when i first returned back to work beginning of Dec I got 6-8oz easy in one session..
    I took the holiday break and came back second week of jan. noticed i was getting 5-6oz and now at times I will get barely 2-3oz in one pump but then the next day I can get 6oz. I am not sure what is going on. I read somewhere when they loose weight that they saw a drop. I havent been dieting but I have noticed some more of the baby weight has gone in the last week and half. Not sure if that is it or not. But I have been trying to not stress over having enough milk but trying not to stress seems to stress me out more. I have tried the massaging technique. A friend said to try to shake your breast to help with let down.Not made a difference. I try to drink lots of fluids. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

. . ."But I have been trying to not stress over having enough milk but trying not to stress seems to stress me out more. I have tried the massaging technique. A friend said to try to shake your breast to help with let down.Not made a difference. I try to drink lots of fluids. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?". . .

I know what you mean - I work nights, and if I don't get my "normal supply" out, I get more worked up about it and can't stop thinking about it! It is one big dominoe effect.

Here's the link to the Marmet technique: (manually massaging and expressing breast milk. You don't have to do the entire thing. You can do the first part to help w/let down)
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

That is what your friend is talking about - it takes about 2-5 minutes to prepare, but some say it really works. I make hot packs at work (Gerber makes heat therapy packs you can warm up and use) and place them on my breasts for a few minutes, then massage, then pump. I get more out and feel more "empty" when I do this. It takes longer than just turning the pump on and pumping, but it may work.

Have you tried using an electric pump? If you're really wanting a good pump, the hospital grade pumps are known for drawing out more milk. Good luck!

Yes I have thought about an electric pump but I was out on bed rest for a large half of my pregnancy from about 28 weeks on . With the reduced pay situation I wasn't able to dish out 300$ before I came back to work we are still adjusting now with daycare on top of that. I have been looking thinking with our tax refund I want to get one but not sure . I have seen some say they got better results with the Avent pump than their electric pump. so I am just concerned about getting one and then it does not help. I will have then spent 300$ on something I cannot return. wish you could try them out first.

If you are only away from your baby occasionally, then I think a manual pump is fine. And, if you are getting the amount needed from a manual pump, I wouldn't see any reason to purchase one. But since you've noticed a decrease in pumping and you're getting stressed out, it may pay to invest in a pump.

I know what you mean about not having a lot of money, especially after bedrest. And purchasing one that might not work out does seem a little pricey. Here are a few options.

Have you considered renting a hospital grade pump? The lactina rents for about $35 a month, the Symphony (which I love!) is about $55. Most lactation consultants rent them, hospitals, or LLL meetings might have more information.

I don't know how you feel about used pumps, but you can find great pumps, sometimes new or barely used, on ebay.com. I almost purchased a new Medela advanced PIS until I decided to rent. It was going to be $150. Of course, you should replace the tubing and other parts available through medela.

Good luck!

Exclamation Re: used pumps - WAS Birth control options-milk supply

>I don't know how you feel about used pumps, but you can find great pumps, sometimes new or barely used, on ebay.com. I almost purchased a new Medela advanced PIS until I decided to rent. It was going to be $150. Of course, you should replace the tubing and other parts available through medela. <

Only the rental type pumps are designed for multiple users.
    Other pumps are like toothbrushes - only use your own! The way they are designed does not allow for cleaning and sterilizing. Replacing the tubes and flanges is NOT enough.
    If you buy a pump from an internet site, make sure that it comes in the original SEALED packaging.
    Apart from health issues, the pumps you buy (rather than rent) usually carry only a one year guarentee. Although some mothers are able to use them for longer, they do wear out and just don't work very well.

The following article from LEAVEN, our publication for Leaders, are pertinent to this topic and may be of interest. Please note that these articles are usually written from the perspective of someone who is helping a breastfeeding mother.

Answering Questions about Breast Pumps
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...bMar01p12.html

Are Used Breast Pumps a Good Option? Issues to Consider
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...nJul04p54.html

Exploring the World of Breast Pumps
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...nJul04p51.html

warmly,
    LLLnormaR