Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Binky Culprit or Another Issue?

Default Binky Culprit or Another Issue?

Hi. It's me again (sorry for all the possibilities below, I'm a bit of an over analyzer)

So my DD is exhibiting odd BF behavior that is a bit frustrating although I try not to be frustrated. Normally we have a good latch (has been evaluated by L/C) and she really latches on and enjoys are B/F session.

Today I latched her onto breast and she sucked for a little and pulled off. This is her new thing. I figure she does it b/c she knows how now (she would fall asleep before) or sometimes it is b/c she needs burped (she has been burping more and spitting up more and hiccuping a lot lately).

So I try and relatch her. Thing is she either pushes against my hand (which is difficult) when I'm trying to latch her.

Or even weirder: She will open her mouth wide and go for the latch but then swish her head from side to side and pull off. She never latches down good just closes her mouth a bit and decides it's not right. Over and over. I assume she is still hungry b/c she is still opening wide and really going for it. I have no idea what this is about. It is as if she doesn't want a deep latch. Sometimes she will try and slide it to the front and suck there. So I'm wondering if maybe the binky is causing her to want to shallow latch? It also kinda feels like when my breasts are squishy she doesn't like to latch them even though there is milk visibly coming out and when they are full I don't have this issue. For example I tried to latch her on a squishy breast and she did this odd behavior. I then switched her to the other which was full and she latched on right away and nursed (but not for long). Of course maybe the squishiness has nothing to do with it.

So I read that baby fussing and pulling away from breast or trying to latch but refusing could be a sign of nipple confusion? I'm worried it may be caused by our use of the pacifier?

OR if it is some other issue altogether?

OR maybe she's trying to say she's not hungry even though she's fussy?

OR perhaps just an odd nursing day?

Ever hear of this?

(I feel like we didn't get a lot of good nursing in today. I must not be too bad b/c although she is a bit fussier than normal she isn't screaming the whole day as if she were still hungry. I'm pretty persistent even when we have an issue and that usually helps out.)
    Last edited by @llli*redpowerlady; March 26th, 2010 at 01:15 AM.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Default Re: Binky Culprit or Another Issue?

Well, I gave DS a pacifier at like 3 days, and I did sort of notice that as long as I gave it to him he kind of slurped my nipple back rather than opening wide. I really do think it was due to the pacifier cuz we would always put it in and he slurped it back into his mouth. The issue never really went away until we gave up the pacifier cold turkey at 3 months and I fixed his latch for the most part. It sounds like it could be the pacifier, but I could be wrong. HTH.
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Ya I do feel like it might be the binky but I want to make sure it isn't something else that I'm overlooking. Although I hate to have to think of giving up the binky. It can be really helpful (ex: talking on phone to doctor and she starts crying).

I got up this morning and was embarrassed about my long rambling post, haha. It was really odd behavior though... Not at all typical.

I've nursed her twice this morning (no binky at night) and so far no odd behavior, I'm keeping fingers crossed we have no problems today. ((Other than the darn soreness that I'm trying to get a handle on. Ugh.))

idk, but DS2 did similar things and he's never used a binky much. DS1 used a binky all the time and I don't remember any huge latch issues. I actually kinda wish DS2 would use a binky once in a while instead of insisting on the breast; even if he were to have some minor latch issues, I would think that those would be sorted out eventually, yk?

~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

My little girl does the same thing, she always had. She doesn't really like a deep latch. She doesn't seem worse for the wear though and my nipples are fine. (no pain etc.)

I also use a Binky and I supplement with a bottle. So it could be the nipple differences.
    My beautiful little girl Evelyn Pearl. Born Jan. 14, 2010.

Hmm.. Thanx for the responses!
    Sometimes I wish I could read LO's mind

My son never took to a paci well, but he would suck on my finger for those I-don't-really-need-to-eat-I'm-just-squalling moments babies always seem to have when a) the phone rings or b) you need to go to the bathroom.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

My boy does it occassionally and i figured out that it was when the milk was not squirting out nicely as he likes and he had to suck harder to get it out. He was just getting frustrated so i gave him some time to make sure he gets the hind milk ,and offered other breast.