Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lowered Milk Supply

Red face Lowered Milk Supply

My 5 week old has been getting increasing fussy when she is eating lately. Plus, she will start pulling on my nipples and crying after she starts feeding. I have been pumping in between feeding so that I will have some milk for when I go back to work tomorrow. And for the last week or so, I have been trying to introduce a bottle or two a day so that she will be ready for the bottle when my husband has to feed her while I am work. Usually I would get almost a bottle a breast when I would pump but starting last week, I was getting 1 1/2 bottles a breast but that stopped two days ago. My daughter is having enough wet / dirty diapers so I am not worried about that. I am just wondering why she could be getting so fussy when she is eating and what is going to happen when I go back to work? I am afraid that she won't have enough milk at home. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Default Re: Lowered Milk Supply

Hi there,
    I can tell that you are concerned about what will happen when you return to work. I can understand that!

You are right not to be concerned about supply right now, as long as dd is having proper output.

She may be going through a growth spurt. Increased feedings for a couple of days will help her get what she needs.

Will you be able to pump while at work? If so, you shouldn't need to stock up on milk in advance. It is best to give dd the milk you pumper for her the day before.

Increased pumping on top of her normal feedings can actually create an oversupply, which you don't need! You just need the right amount for her!

Just take it one day at a time and things will work themselves out! Let us know how it is going!