Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 14week old just snacks and naps

Default 14week old just snacks and naps

I'm going back to work next week so I've been trying to track DD2's nursing and napping patterns to give DCP some idea of her rhythm. Apparently she's quite the snacker and cat napper. Today for instance she's nursed 7 times since waking at 6:45am (she sleeps from 8-7ish and usually only wakes once). She'll nurse maybe 5mins, fall asleep, then nap for 20-30. Repeat. All.Day.Long. The only time she seems to go longer stretches is if we are out and about and she'll nap for quite a while in the car or stroller. She doesn't seem to be content to play long before shoving anything she can get her hands on in her mouth.

She had a growth spurt (I think) around 10-11wks. Could this be another growth spurt (although the cat napping isn't a recent development)? DD1 was different from what I can remember. I remember being able to count on 2 nice long naps, one am, and one pm by this age. I can't get anything done around here unless I can do it in 20min increments! Plus I'm not sure how to prepare bottles for daycare since she just seems to be constantly snacking.

Any ideas?
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: 14week old just snacks and naps

The only way I can think of to prepare bottles would be to pump enough for a full day's feeding and do a trial run for a few days. Trying to only nurse in the early a.m. and evenings - just like your work schedule would allow.
    Kudos - You are already doing a good job charting the feedings and sleep. We feed on demand and I can only guesstimate when asked about my son's patterns.
    You can find me

DS born 9/2009

Hiya

Your DD sounds a bit like my DS who is also 14 weeks old. He usually fights sleep from about 10am until about 5pm and wil only cat nap during this time. Sometimes he will sleep a bit longer but not often.

I have left DS with family twice and have learned that if I give them a full feed in 1 bottle he may not take it all (we have bottle issues) and then does not want to take the rest of that feed either cooled or reheated. If your LO is the same then you could leave the day care a 'spare' bottle so that they can pour a couple of ounces in at a time. This would mimick the snack and cat nap routine you have now. This is what I plan to do.

Hope this makes sense am xx
    Amy, very proud Mum to beautiful Gabriel, born 11/12/2009. We are looking forward to baby number 2 arriving in January

We loved , but stopped after 9 months because I went back to work. We think that cloth nappies rock

Could not have breastfed without the fab support of husband Chris and of course the LLL!!!!

Bumping.

On day 2 of DD2 wanting to be latched to me all day long. She'll nurse until she falls asleep, sleeps as long as she's still being held, the wakes the minute she's put down only to want to nurse some more. She's content in the swing, bouncy, playmat for 10mins max and even then it's only so that she can grab a toy and shove it in her mouth. If my breast isn't in her mouth, a toy or her hand is and she searches frantically for something to put in her mouth. Teething? Exploring? Hungry? I keep putting her to the breast but she'll only nurse for a short time (5mins or so) before dozing off. She won't take a paci for longer than a minute or two. I feel like she has a high sucking need.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09