Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gaining too much weight

Default gaining too much weight

My baby is 5 month old now and exclusively drinking expressed breastmilk, she is gainig weight too much.
    she was born 8.37 pounds 3.7 kg and 19.68 inches 50cm.
    2 months she was 13.66 pounds 6.2kg and 24.4inches 62cm.
    4 months old she was 18.29 pounds 8.3 kg and 25.78 inches 65.5cm.

should i be worried about my baby weight?
    she drinks between 900ml 30.4 ounces and 1200ml 40.5 ounces of expressed breastmilk only, is this normal?

Default Re: gaining too much weight

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joyjo View Post
    My baby is 5 month old now and exclusively drinking expressed breastmilk, she is gainig weight too much.
    she was born 8.37 pounds 3.7 kg and 19.68 inches 50cm.
    2 months she was 13.66 pounds 6.2kg and 24.4inches 62cm.
    4 months old she was 18.29 pounds 8.3 kg and 25.78 inches 65.5cm.

should i be worried about my baby weight?
    she drinks between 900ml 30.4 ounces and 1200ml 40.5 ounces of expressed breastmilk only, is this normal?
    I think that's normal. Who said it was too much? Maybe she's just gaining really fast and soon you'll see it even out a little?

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

No such thing as gaining too much weight with a breastfed baby!!! As long as you are feeding on demand and the baby is growing well and having the appropriate number of wet/dirty diapers you are good to go. My little guy was born at 9 lbs 2 oz, I exclusively breastfed him and he was 20lbs at 4 months and 25lbs at 6 months. Now at 1 year he is 28lbs so his weight gain has really slowed down in his second six months as he became mobile. Don't worry about her wieght. I know that recently there has been a lot of news about overweight babies but breastfeeding actually protects a baby from obesity later in life and breastfed babies grow a little differently than formula fed babies. And the rule of thumb for amount of expressed BM is 1 to 1.5 oz per hour on a normal day- they may want more when going through a growth spurt-so you are within that range. Sounds like you are doing great!!!
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Don't worry about it! All babies grow differently. For instance I'm the opposite of you, my DD is 4 -1/2 months she gets 30 oz per day and is only 11 lbs (6-5 birth weight). As long as they are meeting the milestones then I'd try not to worry, petite or rollie polly!
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    No such thing as gaining too much weight with a breastfed baby!!! As long as you are feeding on demand and the baby is growing well and having the appropriate number of wet/dirty diapers you are good to go.
    She is not feeding on demand, she is giving her baby her pumped milk. I understand we can give our babies bottles when they're hungry (I pump for my baby, too) but I think it is possible to overfeed with the bottle since it's not like a baby gets more foremilk if they get the bottle often like they would just at breast.

It sounds like yes you are doing great and I am happy you have the much milk for your baby. I am not trying to say you're over feeding at all just that yes that sounds like a lot of milk!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    She is not feeding on demand, she is giving her baby her pumped milk. I understand we can give our babies bottles when they're hungry (I pump for my baby, too) but I think it is possible to overfeed with the bottle since it's not like a baby gets more foremilk if they get the bottle often like they would just at breast.
    Sorry didn't mean to use the wrong terms- I just ment that as long as the baby is getting enough to eat I wouldn't worry about the upper end as long as she can keep up with pumping. It is easy to overfeed a baby by bottle but I think that her range of amounts is pretty reasonable- 1.5oz per hour works out to be 36oz per day so she is on the upper range but no reason for concern. Also I am a little confused I thought that the more often you feed the more hindmilk the baby gets- not foremilk? Am I wrong?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I don't think you should be worried. What does your peditrician say? I bet she'll start to even out when she becomes more mobile.

My LO weighed 8 lbs 4 oz at birth. At our two month check-up while he was EBF, he already weighed 14 lbs. I go for his 3 month check up next week (he's been getting bottles of EBM while I'm at at work)... and I bet he's around 16-17 lbs now! So, don't worry, mama, I'm not! Keep doing what you're doing.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

If baby snacks/feeds frequently he will get more foremilk, nursing for a longer session would let the baby get to the hindmilk.

I agree with you that his gain doesn't sound unreasonable. I know a little boy who gained more than that exclusively from breastfeeding (not pumping at all). His mom has a great supply, too.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My baby gained a lot of weight initially, too. He's definitely evening out now; has gained hardly any additional weight since he became mobile.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Sounds fine to me, I agree with once they are mobile they slim down.