Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergy?

Default Allergy?

DD has been doing fantastic with various solids. She mostly likes vegetables - fruits seem to be too sweet for her and we get the "eww" face every time we give them to her unless we mix them with her oatmeal or rice.

We started giving her peaches on Sunday. We haven't seen any extraordinary spitting up, but we have seen a great big whelp (sp) on her bottom. She's got a mild case of diaper rash because she's also teething so I'm not sure if the dime-sized whelp we're seeing is related to the diaper rash or if she could be showing signs of an allergy.

Do you guys think she's allergic to peaches? Are there other signs I can look for?
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Default Re: Allergy?

I would not give her peaches again for a while. It doesn't necessarily mean she's allergic, but if there is a reaction you may just want to avoid it. Other things you can look for are upset tummy, mucousy stools, hives, congestion, eczema.

My son is allergic to almonds and reacts to peaches as well. The two plants are related. I may be being overly cautious because of my own experiences, but you might want to avoid almonds too.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks Mama.

I've heard stories on here about Mamas overcoming allergies . . . how is that done? Is the food simply introduced later, more slowly and cautiously?

Kids sometimes outgrow early allergies. If you suspect an allergy it's best not to give the food. In this case since you aren't sure that's what it was and there are no other known allergies, I might wait a month or so and then try it again when her bottom is clear. If you get the same reaction I'd just hold off on giving it until she is much older. Fortunately it wouldn't be too difficult to avoid peaches if that's what you have to do.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks!