Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help. Passionate breastfeeder scared about nipple confusion and milk supply

Default Help. Passionate breastfeeder scared about nipple confusion and milk supply

I am a strong supporter of breastfeeding and breastfed my first child, a gorgeous baby with Down syndrome for 2 years, which took a lot of work, starting in the NICU. About to have another baby and the Judge has ruled in a Custody Hearing that the new baby start a weekly overnight with my estranged husband at only 2 weeks of age! This feels so wrong to me on many levels. Regarding breastfeeding, I believe the risk of nipple confusion is great under 6-8 weeks of age and I know I will never be able to build up enough milk supply to sustain an overnight within 2 weeks. Trying to talk my husband out of overnights for the first couple months at least, but need support. How do other mothers feel about this? Any specific resources for me?
    Thanks!
    Mina

Default Re: Help. Passionate breastfeeder scared about nipple confusion and milk supply

Wow. That would make me nervous as well. Perhaps you can talk to someone in family services or in the family court to see if you have any resources considering you are BF. Just here to give you Hugs
    I'm a new mom so no advice but sending good vibes :
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Default Re: Help. Passionate breastfeeder scared about nipple confusion and milk supply

That is HORRIBLE. Is there any way that your attorney can appeal the judge's decision? That doesn't make any sense to me. Two weeks old is WAY too young for overnight visits whether the baby is breastfeeding or not.

On the other hand, do you think your husband will actually want to take the baby overnight like that? Perhaps he has forgotten how often they wake up throughout the night when they are young. Maybe you two can come to some sort of compromise where he can spend some time with the baby during the day and then gradually transition to overnight visits when the baby is much older.

Good luck mama.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

By the way...where do you live? Maybe we can help you research to find out what you can do about this.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommytoac View Post
    By the way...where do you live? Maybe we can help you research to find out what you can do about this.
    There are some links here under the Breastfeeding and Family Law section. I hope you can find something useful for you. That is a ridiculous ruling that is clearly NOT in the best interests of the child.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

clearly NOT in the best interests of the child...

IS your X even wanting theese visits???? maybe you can work something else out.

My hubby would have no idea how to properly take care of a two week old baby.

Thank you so much for all your feedback. To answer MommyToAC, I live in South Dakota.... (via Europe and New York, here due to my husband...).
    Also forgot to mention, the Judge also ruled that UNDER 2 weeks old my husband can take the infant away for SIX hours one day (plus the 3 x 3-hour visits per week which I have no problem with for their bonding).
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mina1221 View Post
    Thank you so much for all your feedback. To answer MommyToAC, I live in South Dakota.... (via Europe and New York, here due to my husband...).
    Also forgot to mention, the Judge also ruled that UNDER 2 weeks old my husband can take the infant away for SIX hours one day (plus the 3 x 3-hour visits per week which I have no problem with for their bonding).
    Thanks again

That is just insane if you ask me. Is your husband actually wanting these visits or do you think he would be fine with the three three-hour visits per week until the baby gets older?
    Penthouse

Mama to

Please check out the link that Paige posted for you. It has a ton of great information for you to take a look at, specifically the Breastfeeding And Family Law section. If I was in your situation, I would print everything off and give it to your attorney.

How far along are you in your pregnancy, by the way?

You should give us the name and address of this judge so we can send him (or her...but I'm assuming it's a guy) angry letters.
    Penthouse

Mama to

MommyToAC, I am 4 weeks away from my due date. The whole pregnancy has been really stressful with all the Hearings and disputes. I am reviewing that link from Paige. Lots of good information. Thank you