Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any tips for successful bottle & breast feeding breastmilk??

Default Any tips for successful bottle & breast feeding breastmilk??

I recently posted about some problems I was having with my 5 week old and his weight gain. Since then, things were going well with the weight gain - in part I believe because I was pumping after every feeding then giving him the bottle of whatever I pumped. Well, ever since he had been having trouble going through a whole feeding without becoming seemingly impatient towards the middle and end of the session on each breast - he was screaming, turning purple, and pulled off the breast.

Since yesterday morning my husband and I decided we wanted to cut back his bottle intake since we think that's the source of the problem. So now we've decided for me to continue to pump after every feeding and give him one bottle of 1.5 oz breastmilk in the morning and the same once per night. I am hoping that by doing this I can make sure that he's getting the additional milk, but at the same time lessen his dependency on the bottle. Well, my husband just gave him the first bottle and he is already crying and fussing - I think because he's upset there's not more!

Does anyone out there have any tips for how to successfully manage this situation? How can I give him the additional pumped milk but not make it so he is dependent on the bottle and won't work for the milk from my breast? I don't know what to do - I definitely feel like I have to give him the extra to get his weight in line, but having him screaming, pulling off, turning purple, and me trying to force him back on has just been absolutely horrible.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Any tips for successful bottle & breast feeding breastmilk??

Would you be comfortable using another method without the bottle like cup, spoon, SNS, syringe, etc...?

Is it possible that you no longer need the supplements and your LO can get enough from the breast?
    I had to supplement with breastmilk in the beginning b/c of weight gain. After awhile they had me just put her to my breast. The first few days she stayed the same weight (no gain or loss) then after that she started gaining like a champion!!!
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Hiya

Totally with the previous pp

I had difficulty BFing at first, to the extent that my right boob was
    such a mess I thought I would have to pump exclusively from it. Thankfully after seeing an LC I am able to feed DS from both breasts.

At the time the LC said that bottle feeding BM was fine, but if DS started to fuss at the breast then doa 24 hour session of just feeds from the breast-a 'no nonsense' approach she called it! That way baby doesn't forget how to BF or get lazy about it.

It might be a good compromise for you to do this, as you don't have to cut the extra out completely and still feed your LO yourself.

Keep going-you are doing realy well xx
    Amy, very proud Mum to beautiful Gabriel, born 11/12/2009. We are looking forward to baby number 2 arriving in January

We loved , but stopped after 9 months because I went back to work. We think that cloth nappies rock

Could not have breastfed without the fab support of husband Chris and of course the LLL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redpowerlady View Post
    Would you be comfortable using another method without the bottle like cup, spoon, SNS, syringe, etc...?

Is it possible that you no longer need the supplements and your LO can get enough from the breast?
    I had to supplement with breastmilk in the beginning b/c of weight gain. After awhile they had me just put her to my breast. The first few days she stayed the same weight (no gain or loss) then after that she started gaining like a champion!!!
    Thanks so much for your reply. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with some of the acronyms - I don't know what SNS stands for. Is LO Little One?

Good news is that last night after my husband gave him the bottle, the feeding after it I was really dreading because I thought oh no, it's going to happen again! But it didn't! He was actually fine, which I was so, so relieved about! Since last night there was one time where he was kind of fussy towards the end but nothing like earlier. I think the stopping the bottle for the 24 hr. period as the other person who replied to my post also mentioned - I think that must have helped. This morning my husband gave him another 1.5 oz so I'll see how the nursing goes with the next feeding - I have my fingers crossed it goes well again and that the 2 bottles a day and breastfeeding throughout the rest of the day will be okay for him. We'll see!
    If not...

I was thinking about a cup - but wasn't sure that at this young he would be able to do it. Didn't think of a spoon! I like either of those ideas!

As far as whether or not he needs it - it's only been a week that I've been supplementing, so for now I want to continue with it for a little while longer, but definitely as little as possible. However, I am going back to work part time beginning April 5, so we will have to be giving him a bottle when I'm away anyway, but at the most should be 2 times a day. But I definitely want to get back to only BFing as much as possible as soon as possible.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply and your encouragement! It's good to know I may not have to be doing this for too long, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*akl View Post
    Hiya

Totally with the previous pp

I had difficulty BFing at first, to the extent that my right boob was
    such a mess I thought I would have to pump exclusively from it. Thankfully after seeing an LC I am able to feed DS from both breasts.

At the time the LC said that bottle feeding BM was fine, but if DS started to fuss at the breast then doa 24 hour session of just feeds from the breast-a 'no nonsense' approach she called it! That way baby doesn't forget how to BF or get lazy about it.

It might be a good compromise for you to do this, as you don't have to cut the extra out completely and still feed your LO yourself.

Keep going-you are doing realy well xx

Thanks so much for your reply! I actually did find that not giving him the bottle for - I think it was almost a 24 hour stretch - I found that it must have made a difference. See the reply I wrote above. Thank you again for your reply and encouragement. I will see how it goes and if it happens again will go back to a break from the bottle again as much as possible.

Hugs back at ya!

About the Acronyms -

LO is Little One

and SNS is Supplementary Nursing System
    http://store.llli.org/public/profile/150

Glad things are going well!
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.