Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: APNO Works too well??

Default Re: APNO Works too well??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redpowerlady View Post
    TY so much for the information! I think I'm going to call Pedi and see if they will treat her. Otherwise like you all said i'll prob. have this forever.... I get intimidated by snotty staff so I hesitate with these things. I tried convincing them last time it was thrush & they acted like I was bonkers. They were kind but dismissive.
    Unfortunately, a lot of doctors and nurses are not properly educated about breastfeeding whatsoever. They may know what signs to look for, but may not know that your baby can still have thrush without showing any symptoms. If they still hassle you about it when you call them tomorrow, I would highly suggest switching to a different pediatrician who is more breastfeeding friendly.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Unfortunately, a lot of doctors and nurses are not properly educated about breastfeeding whatsoever.
    Yes this was the case when I went in for the thrush. It wasn't our regular pedi. But the woman clearly didn't know much about BF and even said so. Not a help!

They may know what signs to look for, but may not know that your baby can still have thrush without showing any symptoms.
    I'm going to tell them I read the lit. and I hope that works...

If they still hassle you about it when you call them tomorrow, I would highly suggest switching to a different pediatrician who is more breastfeeding friendly.
    I'm not opposed to this at all. We just randomly chose a pedi b/c of time constraints. I would like to actually choose one on merit.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I simply called the ped, TOLD her the baby had thrush (even though there were no visible signs of it), told her what my midwife had said (I had told her I must have thrush because of the ongoing pain issues) and TOLD the ped I wanted a prescription for baby. But I am rather bossy that way, and it comes of being a doc myself

Ask around at a local LLL meeting for BF-friendly ped recommendations.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

You could just treat baby on your own. IMO the treatments the ped gave us for thrush didn't work very well anyway. I used gentian violet and it worked like a charm. You can get it OTC.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Update: Called the Ped. They said they won't prescribe anything over the phone, bring her in. So we are bringing her in. I printed off articles given to me here so I can explain my worries. Hope it goes well, I am *very* nervous as I have not had luck with doctors around here. Sigh.

Ask around at a local LLL meeting for BF-friendly ped recommendations.
    Ya I might have to do that but it is a month away and by then I will have used up all my nipple cream which is the only thing preventing the severe pain. I'll probably still switch though when it does get there.

You could just treat baby on your own. IMO the treatments the ped gave us for thrush didn't work very well anyway. I used gentian violet and it worked like a charm. You can get it OTC.
    You know what I was thinking about doing that. So if this apt. does not go well I am going to do it myself. And even if it does go well I keep reading that sometimes the Dr.s presc. doesn't work so I might have to do this anyway. Good Idea. Having a "back up" relieves some stress. Now I just have to deal with nasty doctors which stresses me out in ways I can't even verbalize.

Update:

Well the Pedi (actually RN or PA or something) says she has never treated a baby that didn't show symptoms. Ick. But that if my LC says to treat she will. So I'm calling LC tomorrow to see if she thinks I have an underlying infection causing the pain and if so how she wants me to treat it. So far my LC has been fantastic so I probably should have went to her first anyhow.

If that doesn't pan out then I'll just treat myself.