Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APNO Works too well??

Default APNO Works too well??

I was having serious nipple soreness where when baby latched it caused tears. So I saw my LC and baby's Ped. They didn't find any thrush but since my nipples were bright pink and there was some pinkness in the breast they prescribed me some APNO. I also had my latch assessed and they said it looks good. They gave me a couple minor adjustments that I've been using.

Well the APNO has worked really well and when I use it regularly it does not hurt to nurse at all. So after using it for about a week now I tried going off it. Bad idea! I started to experience some pain again and I didn't want it to get bad so I just started using the APNO again. In fact the pain was after not using the APNO for only two or three nursing sessions.

Any ideas what is going on? I don't think the APNO has an analgesic in it (two anti-fungals, antibiotic, and oh whatever it's called to take away swelling). Maybe I just need to use it longer....
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Default Re: APNO Works too well??

It seems like you must have had thrush if an anti-fungal is clearing it up. Your baby probably also has thrush in her mouth, so after a few nursing sessions, you were reinfected with thrush. You both need to be treated for thrush.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I was gonna ask if baby is being treated for thrush at the same time. Also, are you cleaning your bras, shirts, pacifiers, pump/bottle parts (if you use them) daily?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

When DD was first nursing we didn't have any whiteness in her mouth or anything to indicate thrush - just the bright pink nipples. But I'm convinced we had it. The APNO was the only thing that truly helped it, along with the constant washing in hot water of everything that touched my breasts. It can take a few weeks to knock out thrush and there is no harm in continuing to use the APNO, so I wouldn't be in a rush to stop using it. It won't hurt your LO and if it's helping the pain, keep at it!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Ya my girly didn't have any signs of thrush (still doesn't) so they said I didn't have it. So she is not being treated b/c they said she doesn't have it. But I had all the symptoms. I guess I will act like that is what it is and start washing everything in hot water all the time to see if that helps. I do know that at first I took a nice hot shower, washed all my rewashable nursing bads, nursing bra etc... and I felt much better. So maybe that is the problem after all.

I saw my LC very briefly today. She told me that the APNO has a steroid in it which will weaken the skin eventually. So if I am worried I'm taking it too long then to try every other feeding with the Lanisoh. So I might try that as well.

I have an actual appt. with her in two weeks so if I'm still having problems I'm sure we can talk about it in more detail. It is just so odd to me that it feels like thrush on my part but baby has no symptoms at all. LC at first thought it might be a bacterial infection causing similar symptoms. So who knows. I just figured it would be cleared up by now. But if it takes a few weeks I still got some time to go as it's only been one.

If you aren't treating the baby, the baby will keep reinfecting you, whether she shows symptoms or not.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    If you aren't treating the baby, the baby will keep reinfecting you, whether she shows symptoms or not.

It will be a constant back and forth scenario unless you both are treated.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Hmm... well not sure how to treat baby if Pedi said it wasn't thrush. Perhaps Ped deserves another call. I suppose I will have to be more convincing.
    Last edited by @llli*redpowerlady; March 24th, 2010 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redpowerlady View Post
    Hmm... well not sure how to treat baby if Pedi said it wasn't thrush. Perhaps Ped deserves another call. I suppose I will have to be more convincing.
    IIRC I was "diagnosed" by an LC, then I called the pedi and asked for a prescription for DD and called the OB and asked for a prescription for APNO. Once they knew I had seen an LC at the BFing clinic they didn't have a problem prescribing. And like I said, DD had no symptoms. No white tongue or lips, no signs. But I sure as heck did - bright pink nipples that caused excruciating pain.

As for APNO containing steroids, the steroid may be what's giving you the immediate relief you are feeling when you use it. And long term use doesn't mean a few weeks, IMO. I used it in conjunction with either vinegar/water rinses or baking soda/water rinses.

You may want to read this info on thrush if you haven't already. Doing just one thing wrong, like not washing your bath towel or bras daily, can keep you from getting resolution.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

TY so much for the information! I think I'm going to call Pedi and see if they will treat her. Otherwise like you all said i'll prob. have this forever.... I get intimidated by snotty staff so I hesitate with these things. I tried convincing them last time it was thrush & they acted like I was bonkers. They were kind but dismissive.