Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Strike and Biting

Default Nursing Strike and Biting

I am so frustrated and sad right now because my ds is on yet another nursing strike. Noah is 5 ½ months old and he got his first two bottom teeth 2 weeks ago. About 2 days ago he started to push me away when I attempted to nurse him, but eventually he would start to nurse. All day yesterday he would arch his back and scream whenever I tried to nurse him. When he started to act like this I would just stop and let him calm down before I attempted to feed him again. Well, I tried to feed him again and as soon as he latched on he bit me, HARD. I jumped because I wasn’t expecting him to bite me, then he started to cry, and I started to cry.

I am just so sad right now because nursing has been so hard for me. We had thrush for 2 months, and then I had low milk supply, and the first nursing strike which lasted 2 weeks. Despite all of this, I love nursing Noah and weaning him is the last thing that I want to do.

Every time that I tried to nurse him yesterday he willing put my breast in his mouth to bite me. He won’t even latch on. It is as if he wants to bite me. Sometimes he will open his mouth really wide, and I will think to myself that he really wants to eat, and I soon as I put it in he bites down with full force! I am so sore right now and I am actually scared to attempt to feed him again. He woke up last night to eat and I thought that this would be the perfect time to feed him because he was sleepy, but no, he bit me even though he was asleep! I know that this has only lasted one day, but I don’t know what to do. I am so sore and I don’t think that I can handle him biting me every time I attempt to feed him. I am an emotional wreck right now and I just don’t know what to do.
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

Default Re: Nursing Strike and Biting

Oh my gosh I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I am not sure what advice to give but I felt compelled to write and express my sympathy. I also have not had an easy time with nursing and I know what's it's like when your baby screams and pushes you away. It only takes one time to make your heart break, and for him to be biting you on top of it. I can only imagine how horrible you feel. I honestly don't know what to tell you, because I wasn't too good at keeping myself positive in the midst of such a hard time. I know that each problem I had eventuallu resolved itself, but it's hard to think about that when you are in the midst of it. Give yourself permission to be sad, diappointed, angry, that you are having to endure this. I know I sometimes feel like it's "not fair" that I should be so committed to breastfeeding and still have all these problems. Find someone to give you a real hug as often as you need one. And here's a virtual one from me. Please keep us posted.

Oh, Angie! My heart goes out to you and your little one. I'm sorry I can't give you any specific advice on the biting issue, but Adeline and I have been through many heartwrenching nursing strikes. Be assured that your little boy does WANT to nurse ... also know that he is not rejecting you, and that things will improve, he's not weaning. Hard to really take to heart when yours is breaking and your little one is in such distress, but it really has proven true - This Too Shall Pass. I'll check in with you later and see how you guys are doing ... hang in there sweetie.

Annie

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you so much for your support! Today went a little better, thank goodness. This morning was a little rough, but by mid afternoon Noah began to nurse without biting. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that this continues. If he tries to bite me, I just pull him away and tell him not to bite mommy. I made him some momsicles and he loves them. I have been giving him one when he tries to bite me so that he knows that he can bite on it instead of me. He has pushed me away a few times, but I have just stopped and attempted to feed him once he settled down, which seems to work.

I was talking to my sister-in-law about Noah biting me yesterday and she told me that when her babies bit her, she would flick their cheek or pull the hair on the back of their neck! I couldn’t do that to Noah! I just don’t think that is the way to solve this…if anything, it would probably make it worse!

Thank you again for your support. I can’t tell you how much it means to me to have support by people who understand where I am coming from. I will keep you posted if this gets worse.
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Angie5892 View Post
    I was talking to my sister-in-law about Noah biting me yesterday and she told me that when her babies bit her, she would flick their cheek or pull the hair on the back of their neck! I couldn’t do that to Noah! I just don’t think that is the way to solve this…if anything, it would probably make it worse!

Thank you again for your support. I can’t tell you how much it means to me to have support by people who understand where I am coming from. I will keep you posted if this gets worse.
    I am so happy to hear things are improving for you two. The momsicles were a lifesaver for us too when Addie is teething. In fact, she had one yesterday as she's getting her 5th & 6th teeth in now. She wouldn't take a wet washcloth or any kind of teething ring, but loves those mommy popsicles and bites on them while letting out a sigh of relief.

Do NOT do what your SIL did, especially with your baby already having refused to nurse. You are right in trusting your instincts there ... for the sensitive baby that is the worst thing you can do. I have never heard of such a thing - flicking them or pulling their hair?? The poor little baby who bites while teething is simply in pain and doesn't understand why. Even when a mom yelps (which sometimes is not voluntary) at a bite, it can scare the baby and cause a nursing strike. The best method is to calmly unlatch the baby. Just stopping the nursing session will let your little one know that biting and nursing don't mix. And what you are doing by offering him the momsicles to bite on instead of you is perfect!

Please keep us updated!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Is it possible for a baby to go on a nursing strike for 3 weeks?!?!? I am seriously so discouraged right now and I have been hesitant to post this because I don't want to sound whiney, but I just don't know what to do at this point.

Noah has not wanted to nurse for about 3 weeks now. The only time that I am able to nurse him is when he is already asleep, and even then he will sometimes push me away, and he is sound asleep! The moment I attempt to nurse him, he starts screaming (not crying…SCREAMING) and pushing me away with a lot of force. My neighbors are probably wondering what I am doing to my sweet baby because it sounds like I am torturing him! I seriously don't know what to do. I guess what I am really looking for is some support because I am seriously ready to give up. I don't want to stop nursing him, but I don't think that I can stand him screaming every single time I try to nurse him. I thought that this strike would only last a week or so, but it just isn't ending. I am getting to the end of my ropes….I am an emotional wreck and I just don't know what to do.