Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: any suggestions?

Red face any suggestions?

I am back to work and pumping! It seems to be going well, pumping 3-4 times a day. However, I am still not pumping enough to last my LO the next day with the babysitter. I try to pump at home but am having trouble determining when to do so. My LO eats much more often when I am home; (about every 2 hours or less sometimes) so I am not sure when to pump. He often empties both breasts when he does nurse. I heard that it takes 10 mins to let down again after a nursing/pumping but it seems that even if I wait a hour I still only get about 1 oz all together from both sides. I am also taking more milk plus to help. Do any of you wonderful, expeirenced mothers out there have any suggestions??

Default Re: any suggestions?

Getting an ounce after nursing is actually not too bad. How often and for how long do you nurse at work? Do you typically get more than one let down when pumping? How long are you gone during the day? How much is she eating (and how old is she)? It's pretty common for nursing babies to be overfed by caregivers so that might be part of your problem.

Lots of moms can see a significant boost in supply by eating oatmeal in the morning.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

How often and for how long do you nurse at work?
    I pump four times a day at work, it takes about 20 mins each time.

Do you typically get more than one let down when pumping?
    I try to get more than one let down when pumping but have never been able to. Any suggestions on how to do that?

How long are you gone during the day?
    I am gone 11.5 hours

How much is she eating (and how old is she)?
    He is 8 weeks old and eating about 12-15 oz total while I'm gone

He not she! sorry

For getting a second letdown you wait until the flow stops from the first letdown (or slows significantly) and then (depending on what kind of pump you have) you can either press the letdown button or turn the speed of suction up really high for at least a full minute, maybe more, until the flow starts again then turn the speed back back down. If you're using a manual you can just pump really fast with your hand (I did this- developed really strong hand muscles too).

Eating oatmeal might give you the extra boost that you need as well. I know I always noticed a big difference. Blessed thistle is supposed to help with letdown. And fenugreek is supposed to help with supply.

It sounds like he's eating about as much as he should during the day. But here is a good resource for determining how much he should be eating. if you are interested, some tips for decreasing intake might be to give more frequent, but smaller bottles. I think at 8 weeks my son was taking no more than 2-3 oz at a time every hour and a half to two hours, sometimes another 1-2 oz bottle after that if he was extra hungry. Here are some tips for bottle feeding the breastfed baby. You might want to share with your caregivers if you think they are feeding him too much. If he takes less during the day he will make up for it when he gets home to you, which while it means nursing a lot in the evenings and at night, it may be less stressful for you than trying to pump enough (I know it was for me).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you for the help!!

So I have tried to get a second letdown during my pumping sessions and have not been successful at all. I have a medela advanced and used the stimulation setting at the highest speed for about 12 minutes and still didnt get anything. I have also tried to compress while pumping and this hasnt helped either!! Is there any other way to get a 2nd letdown?? I think this would help tremendously if I could!

You might try applying heat before you pump. There's a product called Booby Tubes, which you microwave and coil in your bra. I think it's just a cotton tube filled with flax seeds, so you might be able to make your own. I know that heat can help you empty your breasts more fully.

Are your pump flanges really comfortable? You might check to be sure that you have the right size (no nipple rubbing along the sides).

I've found that I have the most milk somewhere around LO's feeding in the 4-6 am timeframe. He'll eat from one side, and I'll pump the other. It's easier to get multiple letdowns while LO is feeding and while you're close to baby. This morning pump may help you make up the difference.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Also maybe consider what you're doing while pumping--if I kept staring at the pumping action that seemed to inhibit things. If I tried to multitask and work while pumping that made it take longer too. I found that to get a second letdown (without sitting at the pump for another 30 minutes ) I had to just relax--look at pics of my LO, read these forums, look at a magazine, etc. I have heard that other moms find that smelling something with their LO's scent on it or listenting to a recording of their crying help with the letdown.

When I needed to get more milk than I was pumping I added another session at night before I went to bed (which conveniently fell right in the middle of my LO's longest stretch of sleep).

Is there any way that you can rent a hospital grade pump? They can be pricey but my insurance paid for six months free for me. I use the Medela Lactina hospital grade pump. They work a lot better than the consumer electric pumps.
    Do you use breast massage and warm compresses? After you think your breasts are empty, try manuel expression too. It works better for some people, I hear. The Marmet technique is good. Thinking of your baby or looking at a pic of your baby can help let down (or smelling an item of clothing that they wore) Also, are your pumping shields the right size? I hope one of these things help. Good luck! You're doing a great job! Here are some links on increasing the amount you pump:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/working.html
    http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv.../?msg=30382.24
    http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com.../855/1440.aspx
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bf-links-pumps.html
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Breastfee...p-output-2.htm
    http://www.workandpump.com/pumping.htm