Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusive breastpumping and baby weight

Default Exclusive breastpumping and baby weight

My baby is 5 month old now, she is gainig weight too much.
    she was born 8.37 pounds 3.7 kg and 19.68 inches 50cm.
    2 months she was 13.66 pounds 6.2kg and 24.4inches 62cm.
    4 months old she was 18.29 pounds 8.3 kg and 25.78 inches 65.5cm.

should i be worried about my baby weight?
    she drinks between 900ml 30.4 ounces and 1200ml 40.5 ounces of expressed breastmilk only, is this normal?
    Last edited by @llli*joyjo; March 24th, 2010 at 04:12 AM.

Default Re: Exclusive breastpumping and baby weight

Sounds high to me...mine drinks 24-30 oz I would guess (we nurse and also give pumped milk so not sure). When I was weighing her for each nursing session she maxed out one day with 33 oz but she is a smaller baby (15th %tile from birth till now I think).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

This is more than my baby drank (also more in the 24-30oz), although it's hard to say what's normal for your baby! And, I'm not sure without plugging all those numbers into percentile charts how unusual a growth pattern it is... what does your pediatrician say about her weight gain?

One thing you can consider if it's EBM is what type of bottle you're using - we found that even the "low-flow" nipples from Medela were really fast compared to nursing, and ended up using the PlayTex (sp?) stage 1 nipples, which worked much better for us. You could give it a try, if you were worried she's drinking her bottles really fast and ending up with larger quantities.... (my daughter, with the slow flow nipples, and breaks to simulate the let-down pattern, tends to drink 3-5 oz at a time, max - only occasionally going to 6 during a growth spurt).

But, again, every baby's different - I certainly don't want to say it is too much, just trying to give ideas in case you conclude it is!

I wouldn't worry about it! I EPed for DS1 and he drank about that much, usually 30, but up to 40 during growth spurts. He was on the small side though, about 14lbs at 4 months. DS2 is EBF and he is 17lbs at 4 months. All babies are different and it is probably just genetics and not the amount she is eating.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine