Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Enough bottles in cool n carry tote?

Default Enough bottles in cool n carry tote?

With my Ameda PY, I got an insulated soft-sided cooler with freezer packs, which holds 6 bottles. They have markings to 4 oz, but I think you can get an extra ounce in if you fill to the top. So, that's a total of 24 to maybe 30 oz. capacity.

The thing is, I have tremendous oversupply, despite block feeding since 2 weeks. I'm worried that my supply will suffer when I return to work at 12 weeks, though (I have a very stressful job that I hate, but financially must return to). So, I was planning to dual pump both breasts even though I currently block feed from only one side per feeding.

(If I get extra, I'll add it to my freezer stash. I currently have 215 oz. in the freezer, which could be pretty quickly depleted if I needed to travel for a week, kwim?)

Back to my question - will 24-30 oz. be sufficient capacity for me to store my day's pumped milk, do you think? Right now, at my fullest in the morning, I pump the side opposite from what I feed and get 3-4 oz. I'm gone 10-12 hours a day. I can do the math and figure that I would be pushing capacity if I pumped 3 oz. per side 4x a day, and over capacity if I pumped 4 oz. per side. But at the same time, I assume my supply will be lower during the work day and I won't have my baby right near me to help with letdown.

I'm just wondering from those who currently pump how much I might expect to be getting and if you think I should plan to have an extra set of bottles and extra cooler (I'd rather not spend the $35 to get another set if I don't need it, kwim?)
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Default Re: Enough bottles in cool n carry tote?

I'm afraid I don't have an answer, since this is an issue I've never had! But, as I sit here in awe of your freezer stash, can I suggest that you keep in mind the possibility of donating it if it starts to get old and you're already keeping up with your baby & don't need it?

(I just realized I could do this with my ~150oz frozen away... and barely squeeked in before it was too old, so I thought I'd pass along the idea since I was wishing I'd heard it earlier!)

I would say it varies between women and while I have low supply and would never fill that much you know how much you pump better than anyone else. Can you take a few extra bottles and stick them in a fridge or just the last pumping of the day keep at room temp since milk keeps for 6 hrs at room temp fine and then get it in your fridge at home.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

pump into the bottles, transfer to the milk storage bags. I had the same exact problem only mine was at 8 weeks PP. We donated 300+ oz of milk to the milk bank after three months of me being back at work!! Even then, we still had about 100 oz still in the freezer. . . MIL called me a cow, I was producing so much. I use the Lansinoh storage bags. I'd LIKE to use the Medela bags but they are twice the price and they are not THAT nice . . . not nice enough to pay the price. . . . I'm a poet and didn't know it. . .

The milk bags can be squished together in the storage bag. If your bag holds SIX bottles, you should have PLENTY of room. I use the storage bag that came with my PISA. It only holds FOUR bottles . . .

HTH
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

I agree w/ above about going ahead and transferring to storage bags.

I just wanted to weigh in here about your supply. If you are running out of room in your freezer, you might consider donating some but NOT all of your supply. I had major oversupply in the beginning, block fed, etc. When I went back to work (@ 3mos), I pumped 1-2 extra feedings per day, which was filling out my freezer at a pretty rapid rate. Starting around 6 mos, my supply dipped down to where I might pump an extra feeding 2-3 days per week. Now @ 7.5 mos, I'm starting to not always pump enough for the next day - not often, but maybe one day a week.

I started letting him nurse on both sides, fenugreek, etc. So our supply is good. But I went from pumping 18-22oz per day to 11-14.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Putting them in storage bags is a fantastic idea. I wish I had thought of that when I was pumping/working. I used to have to take a larger cooler to work because I would run out of room. Those baggies really do save a lot of space!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi I'm Stella, mom to Owen (12/06) and Nathan (07/10) and wife to Dale
    Holy Batman! with another BOY due to arrive July 2011