Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diflucan for Infant

Default Diflucan for Infant

My 3.5 mth daughter has thrush and nystatin and genetian violet haven't worked. I read about diflucan, is it safe for infants? Has anyone treated their baby with it?

Thanks
    Nitu

Default Re: Diflucan for Infant

I assume the gentian violet was used on your nipples and the nystatin in the babies mouth? It may be that you need something stronger to really get rid of the yeast otherwise you will continue to pass it back and forth. Also, make sure it's really thrush in the babies mouth.

Good luck!

I don't know if diflucan can safely be used to treat thrush in an infant. You should talk with your baby's doctor about what medications are recommended at this age. I hope some of the BTDT thrush "experts" on these boards will post with more info for you.

--Rebecca

Yep, we used it and for me and ds. I took the adult pills and he took the baby liquid. Worked well.

Hi there-

Is just your baby having syptoms? I hope that you are not in pain. Babies aren't normally bothered by it, from what I've read and heard and experienced. I have struggled with thrush and still am a bit, and found that niether nystatin or gentian violet worked for me. What DID work is acidophilus. Its a probiotic, like whats found in yogurt that is so good for you. I give some to my baby and take it myself. It took away the white patches in her mouth within a few weeks, gradually diminishing them and they haven't been back at all (been 4 months, and she'd had them since birth before that). I give DD the powder, just make sure its not got dairy or corn (maltodextrin) or other "fillers" in it. It must be refridgerated, in store and at home, for maximum effect. You can open a gelatin/veggie capsule to get at the powder, or give it to the baby in powder form. I used to mix it with a bit of breastmilk and give it to her on my finger to suck off. Now I mix it with a bit of solids- about 1/4 tsp of the probiotic 1-2 times a day.

I have heard of other moms, even other posters here other than the ones posted already, who have used the diflucan with their babies, with varied results. Not that that helps, really, but just to let you know you may need to try a few different things.

If you are also experiencing symtoms, there is a lot of info on this site about thrush. A few of us have really had problems with it, and post under the thread "why does it still hurt?" under "chronic conditions, mother" fairly often. You may want to skim that, although there is a lot of just supporting one another. And many people do really get rid of their thrush problems! If you need more input on how to further treat thrush, please let us know as myself and others have some input on what has worked when all else has failed. But I don't want to overwhelm you with the advice if you don't want it right now.

I hope this problem resolves for you quickly. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Nola; September 30th, 2006 at 01:35 PM.

hi there and welcome to the forum.

yes, there is infant difluan. my dd and i were treated for thrush...and we're slowly overcoming it. our pedi prescribed nystatin for my dd, and said that if that doesn't work, he'd prescribe infant diflucan...which i guess, as the previous poster stated, comes in a liquid form.

also you want to make sure that you're both being treated at the same time...otherwise you'll just keep passing it back and forth to each other!

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Ugh- Thrush is SUCH a tough thing to kick! Aaron and I had it for 2 months. Nystatin treatment after Nystatin treatment later, we both took Diflucan and it has been gone for over a month.

Some doctors will give Diflucan only to the mom because some goes through breastmilk, too. But my Obgyn and Ped agreed with each other to prescribe it to both of us.

I will warn you- Diflucan bothered my tummy but it really caused some gas trouble with Aaron. The Pharmacist said it has something to do with the yeast dying in his system causing the gas? I don't know, but it was very uncomfortable for him for the whole 10 day treatment. In fact, they gave it to us for 14 days and I only gave it to him for 10- pharmacist said that was ok... it was worth it in the end because it really kicked the Thrush's butt! I hope it works for you, too.

I'm sorry you're going through this Make sure you keep washing your bras in hot water and boiling her toys that the puts her mouth on etc.

Best of luck!

Hi

This Thrush has got me stumped. The doc said to appy genetian violet max 3 days (2x per day) and after 2 days and no real improvement i chose to not give her a 3rd day dose (the Toxic sign on the bottle makes me very uncomfortable). She has gone through 10 days of Nystatin and that didn't help either. Should we do the diflucan or just hope as she gets older, she will grow out of it with an improvement in her immune system?

Nitu

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

So sorry you're dealing with thrush; it sure is frustrating!

Both me and DD took Diflucan. It didn't work for us, but I know it works for others. We didn't have any bad reactions to it. I hope you find something that helps soon!